Sunday, April 1, 2012

Things Unseen

Wednesday night on the way to church I hit a deer. . . I mean this was like deer parts flying everywhere kind of hit. . . the kind that dents your hood all up and eventually causes your van to stop working.

The kids were so sweet. Ash was concerned about me. Hanna (my animal lover) was sobbing. Alec was helping me console Hanna. They really were all very supportive and loving of one another. It's so nice to see those rare, yet genuine, moments.

Thursday night Gigi came to our house and fixed dinner for us (Yes, she is that precious. . . yes, she cooks for us on Tuesdays, and yes we had dinner at her house on Monday night too). As we were talking about the wreck I was telling her how bad it could have been. I was on a busy road. If there would have been another car in the lane where I swerved to miss the deer . . . it could have been disastrous. Neither of our air bags went off and Ash was in the front seat. She could have gotten seriously harmed. The hit didn't cause me to lose control of the van. I could really go on and on at all the things that could have happened.

She told me something very powerful. . . something I'd never really thought of before. . . that she often thanks God for protecting her and those she loves for the things unseen. I've since started thanking God for those things.. . . the unseen things. . . the things that could have been, but weren't.

This week as I was studying the curriculum I will be teaching in Uganda I learned that we should ask the Lord to "declare us innocent from hidden faults." (Psalm 19:12) Hidden faults. . . I know I have many. I constantly tell people when they are struggling with a particular sin in their life "Well, at least you know. Knowing is huge." But what about the sin in our lives we don't see?the sin we close a blind eye to? the sin maybe others see in us, but we ourselves don't? We are to ask God to declare us innocent from hidden faults. Wow!

No comments: