Monday, April 16, 2012

What do Mrs. Wells, vanilla chai lattes, pow-wows, deleting a phone contact, and Scooby Doo all have in Common

Okay, if I gave you this clue and played a game of hangman with you. . . do you think you could guess what all of the above have in common?

Well, maybe not hangman, but I'll start out with some clues.

Mrs. Wells- I can still remember her face, vaguely her voice, definitely her classroom.  She taught me both Algebra and Trigonometry in high school.  She had the personality of a librarian (boring), but could teach Math like nobody's business.  Everyday she would go over our new work, problem after problem after problem.  We would be assigned our homework.  The next day she we would check our answers and go over every.single.problem everyone missed!  Although at times this was boring, and you'd think about certain people, "How in the world did they get that one wrong?", she really taught a girl who loves reading and history how to do Math, and I actually made As.  Let's fast forward to almost 20 years later (YIKES!), with my son having gone through pre-algebra 3, yes 3, times. . . I decided instead of letting a computer teach him, instead of throwing out my "I've learned my Math and paid my dues.  I'm not learning it again." "Remember, Alec, you have a working AND homeschooling mother.  I don't have the time most moms do."  Bless his heart, he's heard it all. So every.single.day Alec and I do math together, and I'm relearning pre-algebra.  I'm going to be a Math genius before this whole thing is over.  Actually I'm really enjoying our time together.  Somedays I'm frustrated, but most days we laugh and tease one another.  Since I only have a little over three years left with him, I'm sure I will look back on this time with fond memories.  So, the way I'm teaching him?  Just like Mrs. Wells taught me. . . except I hope I have a lot more personality that she did and my boobs don't look like torpedoes.

Vanilla Chai lattes - So Ash can no longer understand her Saxon math guy either.  Don't bet your life on thinking I believe this one iota, but she loves her mama like nobody's business and I know she will do anything for any time with me, so I caved.  Today, we were sitting down at the kitchen table with her math.  She and I both were frustrated with one another.  Actually I don't think math had anything to do with it.  However, I told her to let me fix her a Vanilla Chai latte. . . that would make both of us happy. . . and it did. . . until she spilled hers. . . and then, I smiled and we fixed her another one.  I told her a spill was due today because I was going to mop. Every.single.time I mop someone spills something.  I told her at least she did it BEFORE I mopped rather than later.  I hoped this lightened her moody mood.

Pow-wows. . . After the real estate client that I almost quit real estate totally over, I went in today and got my commission check.  My broker is the best.  He told me he thought he was going to have to have a pow-wow with me and tell me this is the first bad client I've ever had and probably ever will have. . . that I was a good agent and to not let this one bad experience stop me.  I had already gotten over the height of the emotion over the whole thing, but I was grateful Bill cared enough to be concerned about my feelings.

Deleting a phone contact. . . well, as I took the key to my client, Hanna said, "Mom, can I delete his name off your phone after this?"  To which I replied, "Sure baby.  I'll give you the honors."  I gave the key to his sweet wife, who, by the way, when I saw her, I hugged her neck, and she said, "Please don't hate us."  I don't.  I'm just glad this whole thing is over.  The kiddos and I got in the car, I pulled up his name, and gave Hanna my phone to which she deleted him.  I never have to answer his calls again!!!!!!!!!!  Man, I felt like a 20-pound boulder was lifted off my shoulders.  As I put my check in the mail today I told Jon, "Now that I'm getting paid, it was worth it.  Friday, it was not worth it.  Today, however, it is."

Scooby Doo. . . Hanna asked me today if when I had time if I would sit down and snuggle with her.  So my mopping still hasn't been done, but loving on Hanna has.  She wanted us to watch Scooby Doo.  It's the new ones.  I chuckled when Freddie talked about downloading aps to his smart phone. It's just not the same.  Not the same at all.

Okay, any guesses, as to what these all have in common?

My Monday.

Go ahead and say it, "She's such a dork."

I know.  I know.


No comments: