Thursday, April 26, 2012

Why Just Him?


Sunday morning Alec was ready and packed.  He left for Alabama to go on a mission trip with our church.  He has been on overnight, even weekend events. . . here locally or just an hour north of here.  But this time, it is 5 days.  The girls and I could have gone, as 40 others were going with our church.  However, I know first hand (Guyana. . . yes, I will blog about it ONE day) just how much the Lord can do in your heart when you are apart from your comforts. . . comforts of home, closest relationships, contact, etc.  I've been praying the Lord did just that. . . a mighty work in Alec's heart. . . that Alec depended on Him in ways he never has before.  However, I will say it comforted my heart GREATLY that Faith was going to be there with her kiddos.  She was his 2nd mom for me.


 Being sappy mom that I am, I woke up early Sunday morning, had time in prayer and in the Word with the Lord and then proceeded to write Alec a letter.  Just the night before I was doing some cleaning and I came across a picture of Alec just in his underwear with a Bible man cape, hat, and sword.  This was no accident.  I smiled as I remembered my talkative, 3-year-old, active boy.  In the letter I wrote him I told him just as he was stripped to his underwear in that picture, he needed to strip himself of his flesh. . . and just as he was clothed in the Bible man cape, mask, and sword he needed to clothe himself with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, bearing with others and forgiving anyone who wronged him (Col 3:12-13).  I also told him to put on the full armor of God (Eph. 6:13-18).  I reminded him of who he is in Christ and just how much his Mama and His Lord love him.
I then picked out a scripture for every day of the week.  I enclosed these in an envelope.  Jenn. B did this for me in Guyana, and there were times when I clung to these more than my very breath.  I don't even have words to express what it did for my heart.


Sunday - that I was praying that whenever he opened his mouth  "that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel," Ephesians 6:19


Monday - "who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy." Psalm 103:4 - I reminded Alec God has redeemed his life and crowned him with steadfast love and mercy.  That he was to walk in that, believe God at His word, and obey Him.

Tuesday - "
Seek the Lord and his strength; seek his presence continually!" Psalm 105:4

Wednesday - "Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved,compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience,13  bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive." Colossians 3:12-13

Thursday - "Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm.14 Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace.16 In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; 17 and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, 18 praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints," Ephesians 6:19

I can't wait for him to get home and tell me all the Lord has done this week. 

No comments: