Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Power of a Cheese Grater

I've been working with this client with real estate for a few months.  He has been demanding, bossy, and just downright rude at times.  I have shown him grace and kindness. . . but would vent my frustration to Jon.  Friday came and it was time to close on his house.  I was so excited.  I'm grateful that he used me as his agent.  However, it has certainly been extremely difficult.

I spent all day in Atlanta trying to get this house closed.  I'll spare you all the boring details of a closing; however, funding has not been released.  We are waiting on one signature.  Yesterday evening I found out he has gotten a key to the house and there have been painters there all day and the carpet is torn apart.  This is NOT his house yet.  This is wrong, deceptive, and AGAINST THE LAW!!!!!!!!!!!

I head to Melissa's to get the lock box.  I'm clearly mad and short. . . not my usual high-pitched, "Hey Y'all" when I walked through the doors.  She and I talk outside.  She had to run inside for a quick potty break and was returning to hear me vent more.  Here comes my client. . . wanting to talk.  She had warned him I was angry and he really needed to let me cool off.  He didn't listen.

Once he raised his voice, mine raised. . . I can't remember the last time I have been so bold with someone.  You know that saying about redheads having tempers?  Normally I'm pretty mild.  However, it all came spewing forth.  When I left the house I was visibly shaking.  I hate confrontation.  I also hated the way I acted. I definitely let my emotions get the best of me.

I get home around 9:00 last night, and I'm just in tears. . . sobbing, crying tears.  I hate for my kids to see me like this, so I sat on my front porch in the dead of the night and just cried and prayed. . . bore my heart before the Lord.

I didn't sleep well last night.  I woke up and just felt so very melancholy.  I praise God that I'm not really a person who has "sad" days.  However, today has been one of those days.  In fact, there were many more tears today.  I'm just so frustrated, discouraged, hate what is happening. . . all of the above, you name it.  I kept trying to snap out of it. . . trying to find things to be grateful for. . . nothing was working.  I went for a run.  I was so emotionally exhausted that I couldn't even finish my run.  I ended up walking.  I couldn't believe all of this has taken that much of a toll on me.

After Jon left to go work I decided to take a cat nap.  My sweet Shelby was having a surprise 16th birthday and her mom was so sweet to include my girls and I in this big day for Shelby.  The kids woke me up and we headed to the party.  I felt better. . . still a little melancholy, but I had a tiny, tiny little bit of a pep in my step.

Well, it got to the time she opened her gifts.  I got her a cheese grater, cheese, and a bracelet from Uganda. Cheese grater and cheese?  What a gift?  Well it was here at my house she grated cheese for the very first time.  I wish I could have captured the look on her sweet face as she did this.  She was so proud of herself.    Anyhoo. . . she looks into the bag, hasn't read the card, and she knew immediately.  She said, "Ms. Michele."  I BUSTED out laughing with my big loud, obnoxious laugh.  I may have even snorted.  We tell everyone at the party the story.  I was probably the only one laughing. . . not very sure because my laughter had taken such control of me.  It's like the girl who is laughing at her own joke. . . pretty pathetic.

That is what did it.  That is what made me feel like myself. . . situation still remains. . . however, after my belly laugh it all returned. . . my pep in my step, my pop in my hop, and my gig in my giggle. . . oh, laughter truly is the BEST medicine.

526.  Making up with Jon.
527.  The ability to cry. . . even if it is hard to stop.
528.  The loyalty of Scott and Melissa.
529.  The coming to my defense of my precious husband.
530.  The sweetness of my kids.
531.  My broker's very kind words.
532.  Sweet apology from Crystal.
533.  My fourth child, Shelby. . . so very excited to be apart of her special day.
534.  Inside jokes and cheese graters.
535.  Not being so serious that I can obnoxiously laugh, give a silly gift, and it to change my ENTIRE day.
536.  Being able to laugh at my own jokes.
537.  Encouraging text from Lydia.
538.  Sweet text from Becky.
539.  Leslie's "I love you message" on facebook.  The girl truly is my 4th sister.  She knows all our family junk and all our skeletons and still loves us just the same.
540.  Forgiveness.

No comments: