Our church takes communion the first Sunday of every month. I love this time of examination. However, since the children are now in the service with us, I've struggled about whether or not to let my children take communion. I would never want them to take of it in an unworthy manner, and I'm just not sure they understand the significance of it. We just started letting Ashley take communion (Alec has been taking it). However, I usually talk to them just about every time we take it and ask them did they examine their hearts and ask God to reveal sin in their lives. . .did they ask forgiveness?did they repent? and we always talk about taking the Lord's supper in an unworthy manner.
We don't let Hanna take it. Hanna has been saved, but I just don't think she quite understands the importance and significance of dining at the Lord's table. Sometimes this is hard for her. I always stress to her this does not make her saved or unsaved. In fact, one Sunday, it was so hard, she bowed her head and covered her ears the whole time during communion.
One day at the pool this summer I asked several of my friends their approach to communion and their children and they all pretty much said after their child has been saved, they allow them to partake. Honestly, I felt like an odd ball, but I knew my convictions. Not that they're wrong or I'm wrong, but it is just a personal conviction for me. I'd love to know any of your thoughts!
I still struggle whether or not Ash should be taking it. However, after today, the Lord really confirmed in my heart she is ready. Ash is starting to get at that age where she struggles with friendships. I know this is normal (since I work with teen girls) and I've really been trying to help her with her own heart issues. And, that's just it. . . it's not really her friends. . . it's her own heart issues. This morning as she and Hanna and I were cooking breakfast casserole together, we started talking about taking communion. I told her that she knew if she still had bitterness in her heart against some of her friends. . . if she had not repented and turned from it. . . if she was still struggling with that sin. . . that it's okay if she just passes the communion plate. . . it would be better for her NOT to take of it, then to take it with sin in her heart. She listened intently, but you just never know if they really take in your words or not.
This morning, she passed the plate. My eyes welled up with tears and I reached over and took her sweet hand. I so hate that she is struggling. I hate that she can't get over the bitterness within her own heart. Yet, I love her heart for the Lord. . . her desire to please Him. . . her knowing the seriousness and the depth of dining at His table and remembering what He did for us. What an example my sweet child was for her mother. I'm so honored the Lord chose me to be her mom. She blesses my heart so.
2 comments:
Wow - what an example your child is for ME. How many times should I have passed that plate? You just gave me even more to chew on this week, Sister. You are one good Mama. Love you (and your sweet, obedient children). :)
Hi Michelle!
I completely understand and respect your conviction on this. Since you asked for our thoughts, I thought I'd share ours.
We've let our kids partake since they were little. We were in a church that offered weekly communion and our pastor had pretty lax "rules" about it regarding children and left it completely up to the parents. We talked it over and talked and talked and talked about it with our children and decided to let them partake.
Our rationale is along the lines of "let the little children come to me". They may not understand every single aspect of what they're doing and they may not understand the significance and weightiness of the moment BUT they're children and their faith is, developing, evolving, deepening. I can't say they understand 100% of their faith at this point in their lives either. It's also developing and deepening. I believe that as much as their little hearts DO understand it becomes a sacred moment for them.
Communion, for me, has taken on deeper meaning over the years...much more than I ever imagined when I made my first communion (catholic background!!!) in second grade. I hope and pray for that deepening for my children.
As for confession before receiving communion, I'm with you...
In our church, we get up from our seat and walk to the front and kneel to receive communion. For me, that is a time of MOVING towards Jesus to receive (yet again) all of the forgiveness and healing he has for us. I like the weekly aspect of it and I do truly feel "clean" and restored after our service each week.
Anyway, those are my thoughts. They're not right or wrong...
Post a Comment