Monday, March 5, 2012

Summing Up the Weekend

The weekend started out with the kiddos and I making soap. Ang. H. makes her own soap and I love the way it makes my dry skin feel. She was so sweet to let me borrow her soap making tools.

It was really funny when I went into Ace Hardware to buy the lye. I looked and looked and couldn't find it anywhere, so I asked the lady at the desk. Mind you. . . I'm looking as below. . . like either a stay at home mom who wants to make soap or white trash. . . I asked her why they keep it behind the counter. She then tells me people make meth with it. I promised her I was just making soap. I hope I looked more like the stay at home mom type . . .hee!hee!

After adding the lye and water, that baby got hot, so then I added our oils. . . coconut, vegetable, and olive oil. The kids wanted me to put on goggles because it was splashing up.
Ash was a trooper and hung out with me the whole time. Alec and Hanna went to do their own thing.
Next we poured the soap into these molds.
Then put lids on them.
Then covered the lids with towels.
Let it dry overnight. Take out of the molds. Cut into bars.

Voila!!! Soap. I put oatmeal, barley green, cinnamon, vanilla, and peppermint into these bars. You have to let them sit for six weeks. I can't wait to try them out.
That night Jon came home and we went to the Hawks game. His work is a big sponsor so we got free tickets. . . in the nosebleed section. Hanna was so funny. She frequently has nosebleeds especially in colder weather. She said, "Here we are in the nosebleed section, and my nose hasn't bled one time."
That's okay. It was still fun.

We took Granddaddy with us.

Jon was sweet and bought everyone a Hawks hat. . . that is everyone but me and Granddaddy. Granddaddy could have honestly cared less. Me??? I don't like being left out. So, he went and got me one. . . knowing I probably won't wear it again. Hey. . . now he has 2 hats. . .
Ash was so sweet. She has such a compassionate heart. She walked arm and arm or hand and hand with Granddaddy. . . making sure he didn't get lost or left behind.
We got home at 11:30 that night and I was exhausted. I slept in until 8:45 the next morning. Rare around here folks, but oh.so.nice. Jon and I cooked pancakes and bacon together. After breakfast Cookie was in desperate need of a shave.

See what I mean?
Bless his heart. He hates this, but he is so very obedient.
I cleaned house for most of the day while Jon worked on our master bathroom. That evening I picked up Ash, Maddie, and Alexis from Julie's b-day party. . .took each girl home, and crashed into the bed.

I usually get up early even on Sun. mornings; however, I slept in until 6:30. I was beat.

After church we went and celebrated Ang. L. Doug pulled off a last minute surprise birthday party. I have lots of pictures, but am only posting a few. I'm doing good to get a post up today. . . Ha!ha!

Me and my precious, precious friend Lisa. I love her so much. She was talking about how she and Tim will be 40 next year. . .wow. . .we have been in our 20s, 30s, and will be soon entering 40s together. I'm so thankful to God He has allowed us to remain close after all these years.


Happy Birthday Ang! You are loved by many!
I had to skedadle skedoodle because I had a Uganda meeting. More on that in another post. Let me just say though oh what a blessing these people in this team are to me. I am beyond grateful and so amazed to be apart of such an amazing team. We spent time talking about what we would be teaching and spent a precious, precious time in prayer.

I then met my family at church. After church our crew of friends headed to Dairy Queen for blizzards. So grateful. So blessed. So in awe of God's goodness and grace.

1 comment:

theelizabethhighsmith said...

yay on your weekend! I have wanted to make soap for forever!!! i love natural soap-i think yours are going to be wonderful!!