Monday, March 12, 2012

Spartan Race

Now, let me just start off this post by saying I am a runner. . . and I run because I have no other athletic ability whatsoever.

This weekend proved my point exactly.

A few months back Lydia found this really fun Spartan Race. . . obstacles, trail running, the whole works.

Well, the 20-year-old that still lives inside me signed up and signed up with a bang. Oh yeah, I signed up my husband too (we are the ones that when we watch college football we think we're the same ages as the players and cheerleaders).

A few days before the race I decided I better do some investigating.

My investigation scared me.

I was scared even more when I had to sign the waiver that said there is a risk of death from fall, getting hit by a vehicle, or drowning.

Sure. . . sign my life away. . . no worries.

I was so delighted to get to share this experience with Lydia, Jon, and the sweet Davis boys (young men actually)

Lydia and I before the race. Check out my race get up. I'm such a weenie when it comes to the cold. I texted her that morning and asked her not to disown me because I looked like a bad impersonation of Pippi Longstocking (shoot, she's probably way too young for Pippi).
Jon doesn't like cold either. He stayed in the car while these boys were posing.
We then wrote our names on the Wall of Valor. I did so terrible in this race my name doesn't need to be written anywhere. . .



The wanted you to write your race number on your arm and across your forehead. I half jokingly said, "like the sign of the beast". . . no way. Lydia did get hers written on her neck. The 35-year-old in me wasn't letting any ink but makeup touch my face or neck.
Me and my hunny.
The three of us. Jon kept teasing Lydia telling her he was either going to hate her or love her after this race. . .
This race was crazy. Here are some of my favorite memories.

Looking at the first 6-7 foot wall you had to hoist yourself up over. Jon asked me if I wanted help. "No I want to try it first". I moved my arms and legs as fast as I could, put my hands on the top of the wall and couldn't even get my leg up. . . shucks. My sweet husband then proceeded to hoist me over that wall, as well as the 10-15 more throughout the course. He certainly got his workout in lifting me up so many times.

One obstacle we had to pull these heavy concrete blocks with chains like Spartan slaves. I got so tickled at Jon. He is covered head to toe in mud and he has a speck of mud on his tooth. I laughed so hard I could hardly contain myself. It was one of those moments when some sort of emotion was going to hither forth. . . it was better it was laughter than tears.

We had to carry a 50-pound sand back on our necks/shoulders up this steep hill and back down. A girl said, "Ok, this is just like carrying a baby." I said, "None of my babies ever weighed this much." A man replied, "I have a 10-year-old that doesn't weight this much."

They had Spartan sized monkey bars. I attempted every event because what you couldn't do you had to do 30 burpees. I HATE burpees. I got all the way to the end until I had two more bars until I was at the end and I fell. I joined Jon with the burpees, as I listened to him laugh at me. (He was cheering me on just moments before . . I heard the "go baby" as I was swinging my legs while hanging from the bars to get momentum).

The mud pit was 400 feet. You had barbed wire above you. It was a belly crawl and very, very gross. I kept thinking, "I hope no one has peed in this stuff." It was really disgusting.

Oh yeah, all the young-uns (everyone minus Jon and I) didn't stay with us long. They all have their youth to motivate them. They inspire me.

Seeing Jon take a wrong step and fall pretty deep in the muddy river/water. It was really funny.

Jon and I finished at exactly the same time. It really was a blast.


Lydia was amazing. She got like 20th overall woman. I'm so proud of her.
Her knees did suffer quite a bit.
The three Spartans. . . or maybe Jon and I should qualify more as fartans because we both felt old doing this race. It kicked our tails.
Our crew. . . love these guys!
Jon was so ready to get the icky mud off him.
What a great day and great memories. I'm so glad I got to experience it with such dear people, especially Jon and this sweet thing - Not only do I have the honor of studying and memorizing God's word with her every week, but we are friends, we get to experience life together. . . although many years separate our ages, our hearts are very close.
I guess I should note Jon and I's time . . . 1 hour 59 minutes. . .

No comments: