Thursday, December 1, 2011

Seeing the World Through Gospel-Centered Glasses

A person who I just look up to and admire. . . a person who just oozes Jesus. . . a person that I tease with and say, "Never, ever have I wished I were a man except to be discipled by you". He's precious. I will leave his name free from this blog, but many friends may know him based on the description above.

I was talking with him at Chick-fil-A one day and he was just oozing Jesus as normal. The things that I caught that he said that have stuck with me were 2 things.

1) "I make it a practice of forgiving the moment of offense." (the Lord knew I needed this literally a week before I left for Guyana. . . I know, I know. . . I need to blog about my trip and SHARE). But this post isn't about this quote.

2. ". .. seeing the world through Gospel-centered glasses." I loved that!!! He was actually talking about a movie he had watched and it had nothing to do with the Gospel, yet he pulled it in and related it to the Gospel.

Well, I have been following the advice of my very wise friend, and both of these things have totally changed my vision and view of things. When I watch movies, Gospel-centered glasses are what I wear. When I hear someone telling a story, Gospel-centered ears are what I hear with. Forgiving the moment I'm offended. . . I've learned so much about forgiveness AND myself putting this one into practice. I've learned the longer I hold onto an offence, the harder it is to forgive. I've also learned for me I have to put my forgiveness into action. I just can't "say" I forgive. . . I really need to do something so that I know in my heart I've truly forgiven. I've also learned how to detect when my mouth is saying "I've forgiven", but my heart has not. What does that person's presence do to me? What does the mention of their name make me feel or think? If I'm at peace with a person who has hurt me, then their presence/mention of their name, etc. makes me feel no ill feelings or ugly thoughts whatsoever. . . in fact, I don't even remember the offence. After all, if we are suppose to forgive as we've been forgiven, then that means we remember no more, that the offence is as far as the east is from the west.

I'm so thankful how God uses people in my life to bring me closer to Him.

No comments: