Friday, December 16, 2011

Christmas Memories

As Christmas day approaches I always think back to times past.

So, to recall a few Christmas memories, I'll start with one that makes me smile and makes me go, "For Real?" at the same time. When I was a little girl my parents told us that the Sandman traveled with Santa. He was there with Santa to make sure no little girls or boys saw Santa. If you got up and Santa was laying out our presents, the Sandman would throw sand in your eyes. Every Christmas morning I would wake up and head into the living room with my eyes barely open. . . feeling a range of emotions, excited about my Christmas presents, yet fearful that the Sandman would throw sand in my eyes.

After we had had Ashley I had been driving a 2-door Toyota Tercel with no air conditioning. We didn't have much money at all. Jon surprised me with a mini van for Christmas. I'll never forget I was on the phone with my friend, JJ, and Jon came home and told me I needed to come outside. . . it was a tan Mercury Villager. . . it was a sweet memory.

I remember one Christmas as a little girl "Santa" leaving our globes outside that we has gotten. It was actually my forgetful mother :)

Then there was the Christmas I had begged and begged my Grandmama to get the Cabbage Patch Kid preemie. I didn't think I was going to get it. She was so sweet. It was under her tree. I was so excited.

And, then the Christmas when I wanted a Jansport backpack and a panda bracelet. . . remember those? Oh, I'm dating myself. My Dad was so sweet to get me both.

The Christmas that brought sweet tears when we gave Jon's Mom and Dad and my Mom old reel photos (anyone know what I'm talking about) put onto a VHS. Sweet, sweet times.

The Christmas that probably brought the most tears to my eyes over and over again was when Jon wrote me a poem called "The Stocking". It is framed and sits in my foyer. It is precious. . .not quite as precious as he is, but precious.

There was that Christmas right before Jon and I said, "I do". I don't remember that Christmas at all, as I was about to be a bride 3 days later. You know one thing I do remember though? I didn't have enough money to buy my bridesmaids gifts. My parents were spent out. My sweet Grandmama gave me $200 that year for Christmas, so I'd have enough money to buy their gifts.

I remember the Christmas on Petticoat Lane. . . we just had Alec and Ashley then. My Daddy was sober for the first time in my life. He spent Christmas Eve night with us. What a special time!

Amongst all of my Christmas memories, I'm reminded of the saying, "The best things in life aren't things". It's the people we share them with. . .

No comments: