Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Greener Grass

There are days, thankfully not many days, but days when I do wonder what our lives would actually look like if the children went to school.

Let's see. . . well, rather than a mother who awakens at 4:00 a.m., my children would have a mother that would wake up at 6:00 a.m., prepare them breakfast, get them dressed, and i guess have them at school by 7:30 (is that what time it starts? I'm not sure). Said mother would then go back home, get a work out in, and then proceed on to work while they were in school. Said mother would pick them up with a smile on her face. . . so glad to see them from missing them all day. We'd get home and there would be homemade cookies waiting on them. We'd all sit down and do homework together. Afterwards we'd sing koombaya (sp???), and all would be bliss. They would see a mother who was happy all the time, full of energy, full of life, no frustrations. They would get along exceptionally well because they would have not seen one another all day.

Well, at least this is how I imagine it anyway.. . .

Can't our imaginations do that to us, set us up for disappointment and not reality? The reality of the above scenario is that it doesn't exist, and I'm so thankful for Jon and his encouragement over the 10 years we've been homeschooling. Otherwise, I would have put all the chidlren in school many years ago. But . . .if they were in school I'd miss out on this.
The looks of their little faces (yes, even the 14-year-old) as they learn.

I'd miss out on long lunches when we ask one another silly questions and learn even more . . . about one another.

I'd miss out on their fighting . . . and trying to teach them how to resolve things and point them to Christ and the cross.

I'd miss the giggles.

I'd miss out on the endless, and I do mean, endless chatter.

I'd miss them being on my heels all day. . . for one day I will blink and they will be no longer be on my heels, only my heart.

I'd miss trips to the grocery store and knowing every.single.food they like, dislike, what makes them smile, what makes them gag.

I'd miss the opportunities to teach them to honor me. . . not because I say so, but because God says so.

I'd miss the tattle telling. . . well, I'm not really sure I'd really miss that one.

I'd miss the odd stages of life (like the 11-year-old right now) teaching them to navigate muddy waters and find out who they really are.

I'd miss them telling me really cool stuff they are learning about.

I'd miss the time. . .

For although MUCH is required of me, much more than just researching curriculum, putting together lesson plans, grading papers, teaching, the discipline to both work and homeschool. . . the MUCH of that is my time. And, do you know how children spell love?

T-I-M-E

So, although there are days when the grass on this side is dull, lifeless, lacking in vibrancy, and the mom on this side of the hill is just craving some time all to herself. . . that will come, much sooner than I think and much sooner than I want. Prayerfully and hopefully I am making a great impact on my children for the kingdom of Christ . . . that they will grow in Him and be mighty warriors for Him. . . all for His glory and honor.

Until then, I'll keep my tent pitched on this side of the hill. . . no matter how much more greener and vibrant the other side looks.

No comments: