Thursday, December 23, 2010

"Dear George. . . A man who has friends is NO failure"

That little title right there wraps up my very favorite movie in the whole wide world. It's a long one. . . one that is void of color. . . well, the color you see with your eyes. However, it's as vivid as the rainbow with color you see with your heart.

Know what movie I'm talking about?

Oh. . . I'll keep you hanging just a little bit longer.

In the movie there is a sign and you only see it in the background for a few seconds. It's in the Bailey Building and Loan (know which movie, yet?). It says.

"The only thing you can take with you is that which you give away."

I don't know if that would be a theologically sound statement. However, I do love its message!!!!

For those of you who are still wondering what movie could I possibly be talking about. . .

"It's a Wonderful Life".

If you've never seen it . . . YOU MUST!!!!

If you've seen it before. . . YOU MUST see it again!!!

If you watch it every Christmas season. . . then certainly don't let this season pass you by and not watch it.

I see something new every time I watch the thing. . . probably because every Christmas season when I see it the LORD is doing something new in my heart. . . So, I think I see it every year with brand new eyes.

Anyhoo. . . I basically forced my children to watch it with me today. . . while I wrapped presents that were in boxes. They were grumbling. I was plain giddy. I hope they learned something about how our lives touch more than just OUR lives. . . whether we want it to or not!

It's not making money or chasing a career.

It's not pursing their biggest hopes and dreams that their little imaginations can muster up.

It's not having the nicest things money can buy.

It's not living life for themselves.

It's not making a bucket list and trying to cross everything off it before they die.

It's not chasing and accomplishing this lie called the "American Dream".

It's not accomplishing the unaccomplishable.

My prayer is that my children. Each one, by name. . . Alec, Ashley, and Hanna. . .that they will invest their lives in people!!!!!!!!!! Encouraging people, carrying burdens with people, laughing with people, smiling with people, caring for people, giving to people more than they give to themselves, exhausting themselves for people, loving people, sharing with people, checking on people, forgiving people, seeking people, pursing people, hugging people, listening intently to people, . . . oh, my list could go on and on.

And oh, how I pray. . . how I deeply pray. . . I am a good example to them.

1 comment:

Musings of a Homeschooling Mom said...

Love this post! I need to watch that movie.