Dear Alec,
Or. . . can I say "Little Buddy" (as you were called in the womb) or "Bubbagee" (a nickname coined by Granddaddy), or "Bud" (which for some reason I'll call you). I just can't believe today is the big day. . . the big "13". . . a day you have wanted to come for so long . . . a day I have wanted to stay away for so long. I get a little weepy when I think I about you being 13, because I know how quickly the last 13 years have flown by. It seems like just yesterday you were playing with matchbox cars, Star Wars figures, and building entire cities out of Legos. And now, here we are. . . . 13. . . and to be totally honest, as I write you this letter I'm holding back tears.
Now, you're into playing your guitar, Navy Seals, working out, "Myth Busters", "Survivor Man", and you're even taking a "Theology" class with a whole bunch of adults. . . meanwhile, all of your friends are hanging out with the other kids. You still like your video games. You really like hanging out with your friends. And, I think you've begun to notice just how pretty girls are . . .and that is totally okay. . . because that is how God made you. That is what you're supposed to be doing at this age.
I just can't believe that God has thought so much of me to bless me with you. You are such a blessing to me. I hope that is etched into your heart and soul. I find it a great honor and privilege to be called Mom by you. You know you were the first one to ever utter the sweet word, "Mama", to me. You were the first one to give me this name. I can remember when you were a baby and a toddler, you'd just love to hear me sing. In fact, sometimes my singing would be the only thing that would quiet you down. Now, baby, that is LOVE right there!!! Your sweet smile just warms me to the pit of my soul. I love to hear you laughing. I love to see you changing. It is such a great joy for me to be watching you transform into a man before my very eyes. I love to see how God is working in your life. . . to see the chains of fear falling off you has just been absolutely A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!
I love to see how you play with younger boys. Now you are the cool guy that the younger kids are looking up to. You're the guy that kids like Caleb D., Caleb L., the Cobb boys, Tucker, Cooper, and even JS want to be like. While that is very honoring, be careful, because that comes with great responsibility. They are watching you. . . they are mimicking what you are doing. Make sure that in all that you do, you do to honor God, and you will serve these young boys well. You even have quite a few little girls that think alot of you. Be gentle with them and loving and kind. You never know. . . one day one of them can be your wife. You know when Dad was 13, I was 6.
I keep recalling in my mind that long walk you and I had a couple of weeks back. Remember, we were at a friend's house, and you and your friend had a pretty big fight. I remember you saying to me, "Mom, what is important is that you do what is right and you defend the weak." Remember your words, my sweet boy. I am very proud of how you are growing and maturing.
Oh how I will pray I will just savor the next 5 years of your life. You told me not too long ago, "Mom, you know I only have like 5 more years here at home." I then responded, "You know, you don't have to move out when you turn 18." I pray you and I will grow closer each and every day. I pray I will always be a sounding board for you, a net of safety, a place of comfort and warmth . . . a place that is happy and inviting and laughing like crazy and most of all . . . . loving!!! I may not always understand where you are coming from, but I promise I will try to see your side and your point-of-view.
I can remember back to your first birthday. I had friends that would just cry when their babies would turn 1. I couldn't, for the life of me, understand why. I've never cried or have even been sad on any of you or your sister's birthdays. I remember you turning 5 being a little tough for me. But, for the most part, I have enjoyed watching you grow and learn and hit new milestones. But now, I wish I could just freeze time. It is slipping from my grip all too quickly. Thing is, I really enjoy you so much at this age. You are really just a delight and a joy and no matter how old you turn you will ALWAYS be my one and only baby boy! I'm so thankful God blessed me with the love of a son.
My prayer for you is that you love God with all of your heart, all of your soul, all of your strength, and all of your mind. I pray you will consider others better than yourself and walk in a life of service and gratitude. I pray you will love others fully and live life to its fullest each and every day. I pray you will not be so hard on yourself . . . that you'll be grateful for the strengths God has given you, always giving Him the honor and glory . . .and for your weaknesses, I pray they'll cause you to depend ever more on the LORD. I pray you will lead with grace, mercy, love, and honor. I pray that you'll only boast in the things of the LORD and you'll consider the things of this world as meaningless. . . . that you will live a life building up treasures in heaven, sharing the Gospel, ministering to others, disciplining others. You have an amazing mind. You are so very smart. . . like a sponge that just soaks up knowledge. Please know, my love, that this is a gift from God. Use your mind for His glory and not your own. In serving others and in giving, you will experience a place of joy like nothing else!!! Giving and serving doesn't come easy for us first borns, does it? We'd much rather "manage" everyone else and get them to do what we want them to do. . . however, it has taken me years to find that one of life's greatest joys is serving and giving to others. Start doing this young, my sweet boy, and you will be so blessed with a heart full of love, gratitude, and joy.
You, my love, are a treasure here on earth for me!!! You are a shining example of God's grace in my own life. I've never done anything good enough in my whole live to deserve someone as special as you. I'm so very grateful for you and I'm so proud of you. I love you with all of my heart!!!!
Happy 13th Birthday!!!
Mama
1 comment:
Okay, you made me cry! Such a fine young man Alec is becoming. You should be very proud!! We love him and are so thankful that he is such a good friend to Noah. Love you!
Post a Comment