Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Alec's Special Day

I really want to get in the habit of taking the children somewhere they would want to go on their birthdays. . . just one-on-one and just to make them feel extra special. I've always wanted to do this. However, in the past, I always hated to ask my in-laws to keep the kids. Not that they would mind. . . but I just never want to be one of those "can you keep the kids so I can ______?" However, the Lord has blessed us with so many wonderful friends, it's easy to find someone to watch over them for me. I'm very thankful.

At first I was going to blindfold Alec and take him to this Infantry Museum his friends Levi and Eli had told him about. However, I thought it was only an hour away. He told me, "I know where we're going. We're going to Fernbank." I then told him he could choose between the two. He was so very excited about the Infantry Museum. I just love to hear him be excited!!!! So. . . two hours away we go :)

I told him we could eat anywhere he wanted. He loves Panera Bread. . . so that's where we grabbed a bite to eat.

Here we are at the museum. The inside pictures will be a little dark because they wouldn't allow flash photography.




Alec holds quite an obsession with the military, and at this point in his life says he wants to join. Therefore, I took a picture of this training poster.



With that kind of schedule it looks very similar to mine. . . maybe I'm secretly in the military :)


This museum was GREAT!!! Although I'm very appreciative of our men and women in uniform, I really didn't think I would like this museum very much. However, it contained so.much. history AND THAT is what I like.


See these Japanese split-toe shoes? They made me giggle because they remind me of my 5 fingers :)


Alec thought this was really cool.










One of our favorite things was this room where it made you feel like you were in Vietnam. It was a jungle and very hot and humid. A solider was talking over the speaker, and then you'd hear gunshots. It also had booby traps laid out on the ground just like our soldiers experienced. It was very cool!


I just thought their creed was very honorable.


Here we are getting ready to trek back home. Our time was cut short and we didn't see all that we hoped to (since 2 hours was cut out of our day getting there and going home). . . we decided we will definitely go back another day.


I'm so very thankful for my sweet boy!!!! I still stand in amazement that 14 years ago, a 20-year-old young woman held this sweet things in her arms. . . she'd never known a love like this in all her life. . . a mother's love. I can't wait to celebrate Alec and his life even more this weekend!



























No comments: