Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Father's Day

I talked with my dad earlier in the week, and this year he really wanted to get together for Father's Day. Sometimes he acts as if he could care less. However, lately I can tell his heart is softer than normal. Melissa and I, along with the rest of the family (Grandmama and Aunts/Uncles included) took Dad out to eat Saturday night.

I was so encouraged. . . my Aunt Wanda sent me a post via Facebook and told me Daddy had a good time. I will not stop praying for him. . .


Sunday was a day to celebrate the MOST important man (other than Jesus) in my life. . . my sweet husband. What a blessed woman and mom I am to have a sweet man like Jon. I told him in his card that I gave him that I'm the luckiest girl in the world because I have him. . .


Originally the kiddos and I wanted to serve him breakfast in bed. We were going to do this on Saturday because every Sunday Jon does his long run with Doug. However, Jon ended up spending Fri. night at a house he and Greg G. are working on, so the breakfast in bed option was totally OUT!!!


Instead, I made his favorite, breakfast casserole and I even broke down and bought the ever-expensive Tropicana OJ for him (one his faves).


Well, for his special day, the kids and I decided we would give him memories rather than a tangible gift. I told the kiddos. . . it had to be reasonably priced, and it had to be something Jon would want to do. . . not what they wanted to do.


Hanna - a day at a local water park (this one just has 2 slides, but she knows her Dad loves water parks)


Ashley - a Braves game. . . the $5 seats :)


Alec - a trip to any movie Jon wants to see.


One-on-one time with each of our children is just precious and it is something both Jon and I fail to do often. I thought this would be a great opportunity to make time for some special time together. From me, Jon got a box of tilapia. . . that is what he requested, so that's what he got!!! He's dieting right now :)


Grandaddy went to church with us. We really tried to convince him to go out to eat with us, but he wanted to get back home to Gigi (who has a pinched nerve in her back right now). We tried to be persistent with him, but he clearly didn't want to go out to eat. We took him home and then went to a Japanese steakhouse. After stuffing ourselves silly, we went home, and this is what Jon wanted to do.


He works so very hard these days (flipping plus a full-time job) that getting rest is a luxury for him.


That evening we went over to Grandaddy's and took him his Father's Day present. . . snickers, a coke, and circus peanuts. He annihilated that bag of circus peanuts in less than 20 minutes.


Fathers, what a blessing from the Lord!

P.S. And for my stepdad, we got with him during the week.. . I couldn't forget him. He's very special to me as well!



No comments: