Wednesday, August 12, 2009

LOOOSSSSEEEERRRRR

I have this neighbor. . . she actually is not right next door to me, but she is down the road a little ways . . . still in the same subdivision. She walks ALL the time. Most days I'll see her twice a day . . . sometimes even 3 times.

The first time I saw her we actually saw 2 other neighbors walking too. We stopped and talked to these 2 sweet ladies. This "crazy walker lady" walks by . . . the 2 sweet ladies say, "Hello _____." She doesn't look up. She doesn't acknowledge their presence. She doesn't acknowledge us. She just keeps a straight-forward look on her face and says, "Goodbye".

The other 2 sweet ladies said they didn't mean to talk about her, but she was weird. Apparently she is a former doctor who lost her medical license due to malpractice. She also no longer has custody of her 3 children. My heart really started to hurt for her.

I told the children later she really needed Jesus and we are going to show her His love.

A couple of weeks later I'm taking the trash to the end of the driveway. She walks by. . . I said, "Good morning" in a very peppy, bubbly, "if you haven't had your first cup of coffee you might slap me" voice. She never acknowledges me . . .just keeps looking straight ahead fixing her gaze on the horizon and says, "Goodbye".

Determined . . . I tell you. . . I'm so determined to be her friend . . . not because I want her to like me, but because obviously she's had a lot of pain in her life. One night as I went to bed for some reason I was thinking about her . . . why she lost her medical license. . . and her kids. . . who knows someone may have died under her care, totally unintentionally. . . could you imagine carrying that burden? Then maybe she went crazy and that is why she lost her kids? I don't know. This is a totally madeup story in my head. . . but there has to be some reason for it.

But for whatever reason, obviously she has had pain in her life for her to want to block herself off from people the way she does.

Fast forward a few weeks later I'm walking to my front door after my morning run. I see her walking . . .say "Good morning" just in a normal voice . . . not so peppy and bubbly as before (but usually when I talk it is peppy and bubbly).

She said, "Good morning. Have a blessed day!"

What? Oh my, I may have even started skipping . . .I don't remember, but I did put a pep in my voice and said, "Oh good morning. I hope you have a blessed day too." I was so excited!! Then, as she continued walking forward, she said, waving her hands by her side emphatically and with a more emphatic, a little bit of sternness in her voice, "I said have a blessed day."

I smiled, walked into the front door shouting, "It's a miracle y'all. It's a miracle," and told my family what had transpired.

A few days later I'm riding my bike and I see her in her yard with her dog. I said, "Good morning." She sang . . . notice I say she sang, not said, "Goodbye lllloooooossssseeeeerrrrr." That is loser for any of you going cross eyed reading that.

I giggled and smiled. What else was I supposed to do?

I tell you what though . . . it makes me even more bound and determined. My heart really does hurt for her. She lives in this huge house, all by herself. She obviously doesn't have any friends.

Now before any of you think I'm nothing but a softy . . . I do throw some caution out there. When it starts getting dark, and if our kids are playing outside. . . I make them come in . . . 'cause you never know how crazy someone might be . . .just bein' honest folks!

14 comments:

Stephanie Elder said...

Girl,
I got excited just as soon as I read the title- This doesn't get old! I can't wait to hear about your next encounter!

Kristie said...

I loved this post, it was funny, sad, compassionate and strange all rolled up in one. Yay for you, for not giving up on your neighbor. Who knows how her brain is functioning and why it is functioning that way. What a great experience to show your children how our God loves everyone, even with their quirkiness!

Christy Laster said...

what?!? how could ANYONE call YOU a looser?!!?? insane i tell you.

good for you to keep praying for her and LOVING her, in spite of the obvious.

suz said...

That story makes me laugh so hard....I was reading it to my SIL, Beth and she was floored by it..I think you're doing the right thing by being persistant...Who knows, she may go into her house everytime and giggle too..You might be the only person that trys to communicate with her that day...
Showing her that someone cares enough to keep trying is showing her God's unrelenting love.

Carpool Queen said...

I remember working with someone that way - wouldn't make eye contact, etc. I was BOUND AND DETERMINED to make him smile.

He did.

My last day of work.

(but he also hugged me)

Tiffani said...

Oh my how I love this story...I love how you're not giving up...that's the girl I know and love so much and who teaches me to have compassion on top of compassion...i love you!

Stephanie @ My Answered Prayer said...

This is great! I'd like to think that I'd do the same but I can't say that I would. Keep it up!

Jen said...

keep pressing on, God has placed you there for a reason!! You may be the only light in her life! New to your blog and just love it!

Jen in California

Jen said...

keep pressing on. God has placed you in her life for a reason and you may be the only light in her life! New to your blog and just love it.

Jen in California

Amber said...

I'm.Speechless.

Because people like that confuse me.

But you are stinkin' amazing. I love your persistence and compassion.

You are making a difference, M. You are making a difference.

Anonymous said...

You're right. I need to remember that everyone has a story. And sometimes people's stories cause them to make them act in ways that aren't very lovable. You're homeschooling your kids right there in your front yard, aren't you, sweet friend?

really.truly said...

That is so interesting?! I would love to know her story. I also love how you keep pluggin on with her. You are so right, she has a story and from the sounds of it maybe a sad one. I think it's wonderful that you are trying to show her friendship. I could not help laughing when she said "losseerrr"...who does that?? She must be a character!

Faith said...

You are amazing!!! What compassion you have for others. You are an inspiration for me. I still can't believe she added the "looossseeerrr"! I think I would have lost it right there (laughter, of course!) You must keep us updated on this story.

Anonymous said...

She said what!!! I would hate to have to beat her up for you..lol. You crack me up how you were so excited she talked to you.( That sounds like me.) You are such a wonderful person to want to reach out to her. Never give up.
Love ya, Candis (R.T.R Mom)