Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A Day to Celebrate

Early yesterday morning I get a call from my Dad. He was letting me know about events that had occurred with my Papa since Sunday. Papa has started losing control over his bladder. He is in a wheelchair all the time because he is too weak to walk and his bones are so fragile. My Dad has to go over there every night to put Papa in the bed. However, it hurts for him to be touched . . . his bones hurt that badly.



I hated the thought of my energetic, happy-go-lucky Papa not being able to control his bladder function. I just know he was humiliated. I hated the thought of my Grandmama and my Dad and my 2 aunts having to be there to slowly watch, day-by-day, hour-by-hour, minute-by-minute for this cancer monster to overtake my Papa's sweet body.



On the way to Alec's band practice yesterday I had this overwhelming urge to call my Grandmama and just tell her I loved her and was praying for her. She told me they were actually at the hospital. Papa was gasping for air and his blood pressure was very low.



I prayed . . . earnestly . . . all day long a simple prayer, "Lord, please take him home." As I cooked dinner yesterday I put on a CD of hymns and talked with the Lord just asking him to relieve my Papa of his suffering.



As I drifted off to sleep I continued praying, "Lord, please take him home."



God answered my prayer. My Papa had the joy and privilege of meeting Jesus face to face last night. I found this out at 4:15 this morning. My Dad knows I'm up at 4:00 and I can just imagine him waiting for me to wake up so he could tell me. He's very upset. This is the 4th time in my whole life I've ever heard/seen my Dad shed tears. Please pray for him. I told my Grandmama this morning this will either make him change for the better or the worse. I'm praying God will soften his heart and my Dad will see the sin in his life and his need for Jesus.



Please also pray for my aunts and my Grandmama. I spoke with Grandmama this morning. She just wants us all to be together. The thing is I refuse to mourn his death. I, however, WILL celebrate his life. I will not wear black to the funeral or funeral home . . . only bright happy colors. I will consistently remind everyone of where he is now. I couldn't imagine or even bear the thought of him being in hell being tormented for all of eternity. I know with absolute assurance he is with Jesus . . . it is not just a coping mechanism. The Bible tells us that Christians will be known for their fruit. . . and fruit was so very evident in my Papa's life.

I can't help but wonder after he saw Jesus and worshiped Him, what did he do next . . . who did he see first? What crowns or rewards did he receive and when or has he received them yet? I haven't lost anyone close to me as an adult . . . with that being said, my imagination just runs a little wild . . . wondering . . . .


Ash outwardly took it the hardest of all the kids. The child is so much like me . . . very verbal with her emotions (both good and bad). She went and got a snow globe Grandmama and Papa gave her last year for Christmas. She is carrying it around with her now. Alec cried a little bit and said, "He was always so happy." Hanna hid her tears. I know this because I saw her wet little face with tears, yet they had gone from her eyes. I explained to them Papa had received the prize.


I love you Papa. You will live in my heart forever. One day I will see you again. I praise Jesus and thank Him for that hope. You will be greatly missed.

8 comments:

Faith said...

Michele-
My prayers are with you and your sweet family. What an awesome assurance for you that your Papa is with Jesus!

I love you and know that I am here if you need me.

Musings of a Homeschooling Mom said...

I'm praying for your family and you. I think you are right to celebrate his life and how wonderful it is that he is now without pain. Praying for peace for your Grandmama and Dad.

Jessica

Julie said...

Michele, you are such a strong woman. I agree with you that mourning your Granddaddy's death would be foolish. For this is not the end, but the beginning of his life. Praise God that he accepted Jesus as his Lord and Saviour! I will be praying for you and the family as not everyone will be as strong as you are in their faith. God bless!

Kristie said...

Michele,
You reminded me today of how I felt when my PawPaw went to Heaven. I promised myself that it would be a time of rejoicing, a time of remembering a servants life. I pray that your daddy will feel God's love for him and will turn to Him for comfort. I pray God will give you the words your daddy needs to hear. Kristie

Tiffani said...

My heart just hurts for you during this time..but I am rejoicing and celebrating too.

What an influence and gift he was to you. You have paid it forward many times to others and especially to me.

I love you and I'm glad we have each other during moments like this.

Anonymous said...

I feel like you as i watched my parents become so weak and in so much pain that God would take them home. It is a rejoicing but the heart still grieves for the love one. remember even Jesus wept at the tomb of Lazarus. I couldn't imagine someone going threw this and not know Jesus and have his comfort that only he can give. what a beautiful blog you have written. I pray Jesus will keep his arms around all of you and give you the comfort only he can.love Peggy

Anonymous said...

Grieving and celebrating with you. Praying for you and your family, especially your daddy. I told Tiffani to give you a hug for me. I hope she obeyed.

really.truly said...

The thought of your Papa meeting jesus is amazing. From all you have ever shared, your Papa sounded wonderful. I'm praying for you and your family...your daddy.