for they shall not be bent out of shape. "
I have this saying on a picture that will eventually go in my kitchen (it was in my old house and just hasn't made its way to the walls here yet). Boy, have I had to remind myself of this truth this week.
We had 2 amazing weeks of school. I should have known it would hit. . . but, I'm thinking I'm so scheduled, very prioritized this year . . . I should have been more prepared for the things that would DEMAND my attention.
We've really had what I call "abbreviated homeschooling" this week . . and I hate it. What that means is we've done the basic subjects, what was required. . . no more, no less.
I've spent a total of 5 hours between doctor's offices and hospitals this week. Alec noticed this hard knot on his wrist on Monday. I called my mom (a nurse). She is very cautious (guess that's where I get it from) and told me of a scenario she saw like this one except it involved the leg of a boy a little older than Alec. I slightly freaked out, googled it, freaked a little more, then head to doc in a box (that's what we call the Urgent Care Centers). We waited at doc in a box for 2 hours to get back to our room, then after we were in the room we waited another hour. I alerted the nurse (as per the sign to do after 30 minutes of waiting). She told me she'd be right back. . . she never came. I was literally famished. I had run 9 miles that morning, hardly eaten anything, and I was literally closing my eyes as we waited.
So. . . I told all 3 kids (Jon was in Atlanta for the day) to get their things . . . we were leaving.
I called Alec's pediatrician the next day . . . went and saw him. . . went to the hospital for x-rays . . .called my friend Candis, R.T.R. to find out if she had any guesses as to what this could be. She told me to make sure I got a copy of the x-rays. They gave them to me on a CD. I got home, put it in my computer, looked at the images and tried to diagnose him myself.
The doc called this morning. Now mind you . . this is his wrist. . . his ulna (if you want specifics) that is having some pain and this hard knot . . .well apparently he has dislocated his elbow. W-H-A-T?!? He is going to an orthopedist tomorrow. His pediatrician even called the radiologist to confirm that it was his elbow. And, we relooked on the x-rays . .. sure enough . . . Strange, I tell you. Please pray for him if you think to.
Me and my control mom self so wants to take him. I can't. I've got to go to St. Simons for the day. My in-laws are so graciously using me as their real estate agent to buy another condo. Praise the Lord . . . He is providing even though Jon has put in over 30 resumes and has heard NOTHING from anyone.
Anyhoo. . . I will work tonight . . . get up in the a.m. and leave bright and early at 5:00 a.m., drive 4-1/2 hours, open up the house for the inspector . . . show them a few other houses. . . meet the inspector back at the house to see what he finds . . . leave St. Simons, drive back home 4-1/2 hours. Get the kids (or maybe meet the kids and Jon at my Mom's). I teased with Jon and told him since I had to wait about 2 hours for the inspector I was taking my bathing suit and a book and going to the beach. Seriously . . . I would do this, but my MIL wants to see a few more houses while I'm down there. This will save me a trip and also help them make a decision about what to buy.
I would love to say I've handled these things with grace and dignity, peace and calmness, smiling from ear to ear . . . I'd love to say that I haven't been bent out of shape. I'd love to say that I've been flexible and upbeat and positive.
No such luck. . . I've been very bent out of shape, extremely emotional . . . yes, there were tears. I really refused at the beginning of this homeschooling year to let anything interfere whatsoever. . . Well this is life, and this is whatsoever, and it must be handled.
If this real estate transaction goes through it will provide us with another 3-months' salary, which is huge!! God is working, and He is so good. Alec's arm is going to be fine. His diagnosis could have been so much worse. I just get a schedule in my head and I'm a stickler if I don't stick to it. . . I've had to repent of my ungratefulness and my attitude and my inability to handle pressure with grace. . . and learn . . . to be flexible. Thank the Lord I'm a work in progress, and He hasn't given up on me.
7 comments:
Try to release it, Michelle. I can hear the tension in your body as I read the words.
Deep breaths - One thing at a time.
When I get wrapped around the axle about things not happening on my agenda, I try to focus on the things that I CAN control so that I don't feel pushed by my circumstances. And I constantly tell myself "In 100 years, will this make a difference?"
I hope you find some release, because when you're forced to bend, it hurts less to be limber.
PS - Without sounding like your mama, be sure you're nourished and rested. When you're not, it makes everything seem all the worse.
Whoa...9 miles. Geez Louise.
Sorry...focusing now.
I'll be praying for Alec. And Alec's mama.
Because this mama is a control freak about stuff like that, too. And I so get it.
I'm so sorry to hear about Alec's elbow. We missed you guys at the fire station, but I had no idea you were going through this! :(
Praise the Lord for providing you with more real estate business!
I just prayed for you. Just remember that home school is "unschool"! You'll get your time in and everything will be fine.
Love you!
So sorry to hear about A's arm...it's incredible that he wasn't in pain!
I struggle with this as well...letting the schedule serve me, instead of me serving the schedule. This is the beauty of homeschooling! I always have to remind myself of that!
Hang in there!
I am so happy for you guys about the real estate stuff...God is the great provider.
I would have hated to miss a Doc appt with Madeline so I know how you feel....I will definitely pray for Alec.
Everyone has a meltdown sometimes...Tears are ok, I actually feel refreshed after a good cry!
You know your priorties and when all that other stuff slaps you in the face...just stick your tongue out at it and keep going.
Whoot whoot I got a shot out on the blog!! Hope Alec is better!
Love ya, Candis
Oh girl, we are all a work in progress. When I read about the wrist...I was thinking ganglion cyst(I have one). I'm so surprised about the elbow. I hope he is healing well.
I should have read this post before the last. Now I know why you had your road trip. I pray that there will be a quick sale/purchase!! We are going through similar over here...waiting to win some bids, maybe closing the company, resumes etc. Good days and bad days, right? Hoping you will have a great week!
Post a Comment