Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Dear Papa

Dear Papa:

I believe when people do things for you, you should tell them thank you. When I sit and think of all of the things you have taught me throughout my life, you certainly deserve more than a thank you. My words are only a fraction of how much I love you and appreciate you. I'm afraid they will not do justice for all the thanks you deserve.

I want to thank you for teaching me how to count money and roll coins. Saturday night after Saturday night, me, you, Melissa, and Grandmama would sit around the table and roll coin after coin for the paper route. Although at the time it seemed like we were just counting money and talking about anything and everything, you and Grandmama were doing much more than that. You were instilling important values into the lives of your 2 granddaughters.

I want to thank you for taking me to church, for letting me steer your VW bug, for giving me Wrigley's chewing gum to chew.

I want to thank you for being loving and patient with me when I would tell you, "You need to throw those old cigarettes away." And. . . . you eventually did throw them away.

I want to thank you for letting Melissa and I put Dippy Do in your hair, curl it with the curling iron, and even. . . . after much persistence on my part . . . letting me paint your toenails. Now, if that's not love. . . . I don't know what is :)

I want to thank you for taking me with you to get goat's milk.

I want to thank you for helping me learn all of the books of the Bible and the capitals of the states. I know we would spend endless hours with you helping me to recite these over, and over, and over again.

I want to thank you for taking me on walks to the lake. Thank you for picking me up and taking me to the doctor when I was pregnant with Alec . . . during the times when Daddy could not.

I want to thank you for just sitting and watching TV with me. Because of the time we spent on the green sofa watching TV, I learned to how to play, "The Price is Right." I learned that the coyote never outsmarts the roadrunner, that Tom never catches Jerry, that every time Fred Sanford had a problem, he'd put his hand on his chest, rare his body back, look up into the sky and say, "Elizabeth, I'm comin." I learned that we always cheer for the Braves even when they're losing. Do you remember in the Dale Murphy days when I'd ask you, "Papa, do you ever think the Braves will be good?" You'd tell me every time, "One day, shuga." . . . and they were . . . eventually.

But, most importantly, thank you for both teaching me and showing me the love of Jesus. Not only is Jesus your Savior and my Savior, but He is our LORD. He must be both . . . Savior and LORD. Savior, meaning that He died a shameful death on the cross to save us from our sins . . . and LORD. . . meaning He's the one in charge, and we are to do what He says with reverence and awe.

Papa, because of you and Grandmama, and your prayers and time invested in the lives of Melissa and I, we are loving and faithfully serving the LORD. We married men who love the LORD, and we have children who love the LORD . . . all because you were faithful to invest time into us and teach us about Him . . . show us His love . . . take us to church . . . being an example of serving Jesus everywhere . . . at church, at your job, telling everyone who would cross your path about God and His goodness.

Papa, many, many of my fondest memories involve you. But more important than creating memories with your granddaughter, you've left a legacy. Your name and your love for Jesus will be told about for generations to come. Your zest, enthusiasm, and joy for life itself are truly contagious . . . the kind of contagious that I certainly hope I have . . . and, if not, then I certainly want to catch it. You inspire everyone's path you cross. You are the kind of man that I want Alec to grow up and be like. You are my hero!!!

I know when the day comes when you cross over to heaven's gates, there will be many, many souls in heaven because of you. I know when you meet Jesus face-to-face, He will look at you and say, "Well done thy good and faithful servant." I know many rewards and crowns are awaiting you in heaven . . . and that is certainly something to shout about!!!!

Thank you, Papa. Thank you for living life to its very best every.single.day . .. even in the midst of suffering . . . even in the midst of trial . . . even in the midst of pain . . . and, yes, even in the midst of cancer. You bring a smile to everyone's face, and I'm so very proud to share in not only your heritage, but also your legacy.

I love you dearly,


Michele

I had the amazing honor and privilage of sitting beside my Papa, and while holding his hand, reading the above letter and a letter from my sister, Melissa. As long as I live, I will not forget this day. . . . a day that is totally priceless. My Papa uncontrollably sobbed tears of joy. When I finished the letter he hugged me so tightly and didn't let go. He told me, "Thank you honey. I love you and Melissa so much."

Then. . . this is the best part . . . he bowed his head, closed his eyes, clutched his fist to his chest, and said, "Thank you Lord. Thank you, thank you, thank you LORD. It is all because of you. Yes, LORD. It is all because of you. Thank you LORD that Jon and Michele are teaching their children about you. Help them LORD." And, he prayed other things, I just can't remember because I was sobbing so much. I looked up at my strong Grandmama, who I don't believe I have ever seen shed a tear, and she had tears welled up in her eyes. My Aunt Sharon was off to the side, crying as well.

Papa then went on to say, "Children (talking to my kids) I want you to listen to Papa. These tears Papa has are happy tears. . . . because of your Mama and Aunt (except it sounds like ain't when he says it) Melissa . . . because of their sweet words. We always had a happy home here. All these things your Mama said were true. They all happened. We weren't perfect, but we were happy. And, now our family has grown with your Daddy and you children. Papa's tears are happy tears. You have a good Mama."

As you can tell by the picture above my Papa is not doing well. I got a phone call Tuesday morning about 6:30 from my Dad. I haven't spoken to him in quite awhile. Quite honestly, I almost didn't pick up the phone. I knew inside I needed to. I prayed a quick prayer, "Lord, if he cusses me out, please help me to deal with it." He didn't. He was actually super sweet and our conversation was good.

He called because he knows how badly Papa has been lately. Daddy really feels the end .. . and what I would rather say . . . the beginning . . . is near. If I think too long about my Papa not being here I cry . . . alot. But, if I think about where he is going . . . tears well up in my eyes and I smile . . . .alot. Who am I to be so selfish to want him to be here on earth with me . . . in pain?

Oh, how very blessed I am to have a Papa like mine. I love him so much I would I could share him with everyone.

9 comments:

really.truly said...

What a beautiful, sweet and full of love post! You have me crying right now! I had a lump in my throat halfway through reading....and now just rolling tears. I love your Papa! What a sweet, fun and wonderul man. I love all the details that you remembered from when you were little with him. You are blessed to have a Papa like that!
xxoo!

Nancy said...

Michele,
Thank you for sharing this very, very special letter and these very special memories of your Papa. I pray that his remaining time on this earth is happy, peaceful and that you can spend as much time as possible with him.
This has lifted my spirit today! God Bless you and your family.

Melissa said...

I am sobbing as I read this. I love you.

Tiffani said...

Oh Michele,

I can hardly type for sobbing myself. I know I don't have to say a word because you know my heart. You know why it hurts. I'm so honored that your Papa is pure epitome of what a grandfather should be...

Oh dear Jesus, there is NOTHING like having that safe place growing up and because I know exactly the feeling you felt with your grandparents my heart is all the more both heavy and overflowing for you at the same time.

I am just so blessed I've gotten to meet him and talk with him if even for a few short moments.

Praying for him and Grandmama too. I love you!

Kristie said...

Thank you for that precious post. I'm sitting at work reading this and crying. There is nothing in the world like a God loving Papa. Mine passed 13 years ago and if I sit still and close my eyes I can remember the way he smelled like aquavelva (sp?) and how he gave good hearty hugs. How he picked up all 6 grandchildren every summer so we could spend 2 weeks with him and my MawMaw. How he was so proud to take us all to church and show us off. How he prayed over us and taught us how to plant and harvest a garden. Thank you for bringing those memories back to me this morning. I will be praying for you and your family.

Carpool Queen said...

I am so grateful that God placed this man in your life to teach you all that you would need to know about God's love for you.

Precious, precious post.

Anonymous said...

This is one of the most beautiful things I've read. Thanks so much for sharing this with us. What an amazing legacy you have. I had a precious Papa, too. We are blessed girls, aren't we?

Tricia said...

I am crying again and I am glad that I have had the privilege of meeting your "papa." It is wonderful that you had the opportunity to tell him your thoughts and Melissa's as well.
I am praying for all of you and when he moves on he will be absent from the body and present with the Lord.
Can I share this on facebook?

Lindsay said...

Michele,
That was absolutely beautiful. How lucky you are to have a Papa like him! :)
Lindsay