Friday, July 10, 2009

Not what we were expecting . . .

Our neighborhood was having a 4th of July parade. We decided to come back early from vacation to participate. It was approaching midnight on July 3rd . . . Jon is not feeling well at all . . . we've had a big day on the road . . . and we'd had a big time celebrating Alec's birthday in Savannah.



I pull into our driveway and I can see from the moonlight the yard work my MIL and FIL have done while we were gone. . . they even put up an American flag. I was just giddy I'm telling ya . .. plain giddy. New flowers have been planted. Old bushes have been cut back. The place looks great.



We all groggily got ourselves out of 'Noah's Ark' . . . all are tired and can't wait to get into bed.



I feel yucky and nasty and really want a shower . . .



. . . until . . .



we walk into our back door . . .



open the door . . .



walk in the house . . .



and find our brand-new, $6000 hardwood floors, covered in water . . . thank heavens only in the kitchen though . . .



the ceiling looks like it is caving in . . .



I get a little dramatic and say to the kids, "Don't walk under there. I don't if something is about to fall through the ceiling."

What in the world?


Believe it or not . . . we didn't panic . . . other than me being a little dramatic . . . that's to be expected though.


I started praying out loud.


Jon headed upstairs to see where the leak had come from.


The kids all go and scurry and get towels.


It was the master bathroom toilet . . . of all things to happen.


Funny thing is . . . my MIL and FIL have a key to our house. They had been over here inside on Tuesday . . . until she lost the key . . . and they could no longer get inside. The leak had to have occurred somewhere between Wed. and Fri.


If I allow myself to think about it too much I feel very disheartened and frustrated. We're almost finished with all of the remodeling downstairs . . . and now to have this happen. . . and the floors in the kitchen are cupped pretty badly. Right now it would be very unwise for us to spend the $$$ to have them resanded and restained. I told Jon it would keep us humble.


We actually kept the old floors in the laundry room to 'keep us humble' . . . we jokingly did it. Jon reminded me, "I thought we kept the LR floor to keep us humble." I replied, "We did, but we CHOSE to do that . . . this was not of OUR choosing . . . so it will really keep us humble." There's a whole Sunday School lesson in that statement.


You just have to keep things in perspective though . . . it is so important . . . vital even.


I told the kids that night, "We all are here together. We're all happy. We're all healthy. God knew this was going to happen, and He allowed it to happen. He didn't necessarily cause it to happen, but He knew about it and allowed it. It will all be okay." Jon reminded us all, "If this is the worst thing that ever happened to us, then we are doing pretty good."

Ashley got really upset and was crying. She said, "I just don't want us to be poor."


"Baby, what do you think poor is?" I asked her.


"Like, we'd have to live on the streets."


Bless her sweet heart. I told her that Daddy would fix this and we wouldn't have to leave our house. I told her we'd never have to worry about living on the streets because we have Nanna and Papa and Gigi and Grandaddy. . . .if things got super bad . . . we'd go live with them.

Soo . . . I have a hole in my ceiling . . . that I'm hoping and praying will be fixed very soon.

6 comments:

Rayna said...

Hey Michele. I know how to fix the hole in the ceiling. Remember how Theresa and I fixed our hole in the ceiling when the dish network man stepped through our ceiling. If you need me to fix it for you let me know. I will do it for you although I know Jon can do it, but it you need me too I can help. Just let me know. Little Ashley has such a tender heart. Reassure her that yall always will have a home with us. We love yall. Mama

Carpool Queen said...

Oh hon, that makes me sick for you. But your healthy, honest, wise perspective is an encouragement to me that it's not the end of the world, and when all is said and done, what really matters is that we have our family, our joy in the Lord, and the sweet peace that He always provides and loves us.

Even if the floor is damaged.

really.truly said...

Oh wow Michele! I'm so sorry. You have a great attitude about it all. I hope that there was not any further damage!

Unknown said...

Oh no! Definitely not what you want to come home to after a vacation....

So glad that you are looking at the lessons to be learned, and not as something to be bitter about! That is not easily done!

Tiffani said...

Why am I not surprised that Nanna can fix the ceiling??!! ;)

Yay! I'm at KK's and can comment!

I'm so proud of your perspective too..you ALWAYS encourage me! always!

Stacy said...

I'm sorry that was what you faced when you arrived home. That is awful.

God has been teaching our family a lot about humility this year. It will turn out good... but can be a bit painful at times.

We kept the fridge in our house when we first moved in. It DID keep me humble. When ever I started grousing mentally about something in the house that was not my taste or didn't function the way we'd like, I would then see the broken down fridge [with duct tape on the shelves and screws and leather to pull out the drawers] and just praise God for a refrigerator full of safe, good food. Your floor will be a blessing in one way or another, I am SURE! :)