Yesterday, after months of God probing my heart, I finally started Beth Moore's study on the book of Daniel. I really love Kay Arthur's Precept-upon-Precept studies. You dig into God's word for yourself and search for truth. She guides you through it, but you certainly rely more on the Holy Spirit to lead you. I just happen to learn best this way. I do love Beth Moore though. Months and months ago I did Kay Arthur's Bible study on Daniel. It is divided into 2 parts. I completed the first one and now I am going to do Beth Moore's part 1 of Daniel. I just want to know God's word back and forth, upside and downside. After completing Beth Moore's part 1 of Daniel, I will then study part 2 of Daniel with Kay Arthur, and then go back to Beth Moore for Daniel part 2.
With that being said, my memory verse for this week is a long one, but I know I can do it. It is what Beth is referring to as the Babylonian motto:
8 "Now then, listen, you wanton creature, lounging in your security and saying to yourself, 'I am, and there is none besides me. I will never be a widow or suffer the loss of children.'
9 Both of these will overtake you in a moment, on a single day: loss of children and widowhood. They will come upon you in full measure, in spite of your many sorceries and all your potent spells.
10 You have trusted in your wickedness and have said, 'No one sees me.' Your wisdom and knowledge mislead you when you say to yourself, 'I am, and there is none besides me.' Isaiah 47:8-10
One thing Beth encourages us to do is fast from something worldly. During this particular study she fasted from rich meats and invited us to join in if we felt led. I certainly felt led to fast during something worldly, just not meat. I don't feel that is sacrificial enough since I can be pretty disciplined when it comes to eating.
God laid on my heart that I needed to fast from buying clothes. My clothes-buying addiction is almost as bad as my coffee addiction. I know I have mentioned several times in my posts that when I look in my closet sometimes I feel ashamed of how many clothes I have, and I'm a stay-at-home mom for crying out loud!!!!
The hardest thing for me to resist with clothes buying are bargains. I'm so seriously addicted!!! I don't spend much money on things, I just happen to buy more than I should. I can find any excuse to buy a new clothing and/or accessory item.
This is where I need you guys. I'm studying Daniel solo. My church is doing Esther, but I couldn't participate corporately because of Alec's swim practice; but, I didn't feel led to participate at home either. God has really been leading me to do Daniel for quite a while now. That being said, you guys have to keep me accountable. When I do my memorization Monday blog I will let you know how I'm doing. If I don't, comment and ask me, PLEASE!!! I need so badly this accountability. For my friends who see me, if I have something that looks like it is new on - CALL ME OUT on it!!!
So, for the next 12+ weeks my closet will remain as is. I know some of my clothes will get tired from being worn so much. I know some of them will be itching for new friends to come in and join them. I know some of them will cease being lonely since some have never been worn. The hardest time will be when spring hits . . . oh no. . . . maybe I can study Daniel on super-speed *smile* Just Kidding!!!
3 comments:
Oh Michelle...those are 2 things that I enjoy as well-coffee and bargain shopping!! I told myself the other day-each time I buy something new, I should give something away as well. But, y'know what? I should not buy anything new AND give some away. Keep us posted on how it goes for you. :)
I'm sooo excited for you in this! I'll miss you terribly at church but in the words of Esther "for such a time as this" and I know you are going to have an amazing time God's word and we'll have to share accountability for sure!
I am actually looking forward to doing Daniel (yes, I am...don't say anything!) :) But, maybe the Lord knew I needed to do this one first and vice versa...you can help me through it when it's time ;)!
I'm always encouraged by your discipline and faithfulness...I'll pray during your fasting time with you! I love you!
Good luck, Michele. I wouldn't have a problem with that since I hate shopping...but I wish you all the best. YOU can do it...keep us posted.
Post a Comment