I just can't believe this one is 5 years old. When Alec was 5 I can remember looking at him and thinking he was so grown up. But now that Hanna is 5 I look at her and I see a baby. Truth be known, I treat her like she is still a baby. I still hold her on my hip just like a baby. By the time Alec and Ash were 3 years old I always had another baby, so their days on the hip had subsided. Hanna, however, . . . I often think at 10 years old she can look at me and say, "Hold Me," and I'll scoop her up into my arms on put her on my hip.
This past Saturday at Ash's basketball game this precious little girl of mine fell asleep in my arms. I cradled her like I did 5 years ago when she was a mere infant. I kissed her forehead many, many times throughout the ballgame, just like I did when she was a baby. I just looked at her and admired her precious chubby cheeks.
The 3rd child. . . that easy going one. After all, they hardly ever get their way. They don't make demands of anyone because they know better . . the 1st and 2nd children are always doing that. They do a great job of entertaining themselves . . . after all, #1 and #2 get so much attention from Mom and Dad that if the 3rd child wants to have any fun at all . . . they have to learn to have fun all by themselves. Jon is a 3rd born . . . just like our Hanna . . . Me? a 1st born. Maybe that is why I am so uptight and he is so easygoing?
Very rarely does Hanna ever get the both of us by herself. Well . .. this weekend Alec and Ash both have sleepovers to go to. We are going to make this night so special for Hanna Boo, and I CAN'T WAIT! I asked her today what she wanted to do. Poor thing . . . she jotted out a list so quickly, I think she's been waiting for this moment her whole life. Here it goes . . .
- Go see Hotel for Dogs.
- Paint on paper.
- Paint on paper plates.
- Do some crafts that are in our craft closet.
- Play with sidewalk chalk.
- Make brownies (so she can wear her new apron -Thanks Aunt Melissa)
- Make cookies
I don't think she realizes it will be tough to squeeze this all in, but you'd better believe this overextender, overachiever, doesn't like to say no to anyone (this includes my kids), Mom,is going to do my best. I just am going to soak her up like a dried out sponge. I can't wait!!!
9 comments:
My baby will be seven in less than two months and I sometimes just cry thinking about it and wish I could freeze time.
She's almost too big for me to pick up (without hurting my back) and she barely fits in my lap. The only time she really wants to sit still to snuggle is when she's sick.
It's heartbreaking watching your babies grow up and become independent of you.
I hope you have a fun time with Hanna this weekend. Those moments are SO special.
Thanks for this post. I'm gonna go wake up my sleeping angels and smother 'em with hugs and kisses.
What a sweet post! I really cannot imagine having 3 children and making sure all of them were taken care of and given attention!!
I am always so inspired by your heart for your kids and the desire to make each of them feel special! I know Friday will be super fun and a memory Hanna will never forget!
I typed a comment and it did something weird did it go through???
Michele...
I have often said that children should be born with a "pause" button. I think back to 5 years ago...on this very day when Amelia was born and I wonder where the time has gone. I think this is why we are to cherish every minute...even those times when you could scream!
Unfortunately, Amelia is not very affectionate! It really bothers me, but I try to respect her space. She will come to me when she's looking for some "mommy sugar" as I call it!
This morning though, she let me hold her on my lap and rock her.
We are so blessed to have been allowed to parent these children.
I am always in awe of the goodness of the Lord!
Yes! Soak up every little second. These days fly by and our babies grow up so fast. I think about the future days when maybe they won't let me snuggle them anymore.Though,they will always be our babies. Have a wonderful, special time with your beautiful little girl!!
Oh, this is so sweet and totally tugs at my heart! I hope you all have a wonderful weekend! You are a wonderful mother!
I look back 32 years ago and I think of my precious first born child. I tried for four years to have a baby but I am so glad God knows what He is doing. He chose you for me and I am so thankful and blessed. Cherish the years you have with your children. The time WILL pass by so quickly. I am ready to keep my babies for a weekend so tell them no sleepovers next weekend. It is time to go to Nana and Papa's. I love you all,
Mama
um, Nanna? JuJu and Connor want in on that action ;)! Remember what JuJu said at Christmas time???
It's soo sweet that your Mama reads your blog and even comments! I wish mine would!
I hope y'all are able to get to everything on Hanna's list! They do grow up way too quickly. It would be so nice to be able to slow it down. I don't like to say no to anyone(especially my children) either.
Post a Comment