Monday, August 2, 2010

Yesterday I Demonstrated Very Well WHY I am a Runner

Yesterday. . . Sunday afternoon. . . many of my friends got to see the reason why I run.

We had a get together at our friends, John and Judy's home. The kiddos swam and the adults. . . well, most of us played a mean game of volleyball.

Now I'm very aware of my non-athleticism. In fact, I'm very forthright with people and tell them that is why I run. . . because anybody can do it. However, after 4 marathons, 1 ultramarathon, several medals from winning my 5K age group, yada, yada, yada. . . I think people don't really believe me . . .that is . . . until yesterday. . . .

I PLAY VOLLEYBALL LIKE A PRISSY, PRISSY GIRL!!!!

Which means when Trish said, "Michele, you've got to dive for the ball."

I reply, "Do I look like the kind-of girl that dives for a ball?"

Basically sums up my whole game. . . that little exchange of words.

Then, when I did get the ball over the net I jumped up and down and screamed a girly squeal like I'd won the lottery!!!! Seriously.

I actually got to demonstrate my mad volleyball skillz twice.

The first game, the LORD was so good to us. He sent rain. What fun!!! To play volleyball in the rain!! We got soaked!!! Our ages ranged from late 20s to mid-60s!!! We acted like a bunch of 12 year olds out there. . . having a BLAST!!!!

When the monsoon hit we ran for shelter. The rain cleared up and we had a new crew pull up. . . ready to get their game on!!!

Believe it or not. . . OUR team won despite them having me on their team!!! It was really a very, very close game. My team would've won much quicker had I been on the other team *smile*

Then, when I'd serve and the ball would go out right field NO WHERE near the net, I explained to everyone. "That is WHY I run. I can control which way my legs go!!!" In fact, one time I went to serve and hit one of my teammates on the back with the ball. It was like a really bad episode of "Saved by the Bell."

We had a great time of fellowship.

Guess I'd better sum up our whole weekend while I'm here.

Friday the kids and I went to a youth swim party. It was a lot of fun and I got a chance to get to know some of the girls. . . I also got a chance to get to know my new friends, Jennifer and Jessica better!

Saturday, Jon helped Doug with his roof. He was gone all day. The kids and I went over to their house and we all ate lunch together. We headed back home and I spent the rest of the afternoon trying to organize the homeschool room. I actually had planned on sewing later that night. However, my power cord to my machine is MISSING!!! I knew Jon would be beat and I'd have to entertain myself that night.

I got everyone to bed, headed downstairs with "Cookie", and read until I fell asleep.

A GREAT weekend!

81. For my sweet visit with my dear friend, Kim, today.

82. For time flying when you're having fun.

83. For my walk at the track with Faith this morning.

84. For friends who love me enough to let me play volleyball with them.

85. For a cool enough morning to take the kids on a bike ride.

2 comments:

Jessica Booher said...

oh my! I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during that game! hehe :)

theelizabethhighsmith said...

great work on those thanks! you're going to catch up to me if i don't get to it.

and you meet me to run and i'll demonstrate why i'm neither an athlete nor a runner.

girl, you're just modest you've got skills in those feet!