Tuesday, August 10, 2010

10 on the 10th

Time for Mer's 10 on the 10th. This month since homeschooling is on my mind, I'm going to tell y'all 10 things that will be new to our homeschooling this year.

First of all let me first say this is our 9th year. Only through God's grace could we all have made it this far without killing one another :) Back in May I decided it was time for a change and BIG TIME change at that. I sold ALL my curricula I have collected over the last 9 years. So, here's what we've got this year.

1. Teaching Textbooks for Math. This is a pretty pricey program, but oh so worth it. The kids do their Math on the computer and the computer grades it!!!! That is the WORST part of homeschooling to me. . . the grading. I'm super-de-dooper excited about this. The computer also teaches the children, so hopefully I'll be very hands off when it comes to Math.

2. Tapestry of Grace. . . wanna talk about getting me organized and keeping me there? This curriculum is going to do all of that and MORE. I'm so very excited about it. My poor printer is probably so tired of ALL the work I've put it through during the last few weeks. There are several other moms who are doing the same curriculum. We're going to get together a couple of times a month and do activities with the children. I'm going to be getting together field trips for all of us. I'm super excited!!!

3. Agendas. I'm not really sure if this is the right word or not. But, on Monday my kiddos will be handed a calender. They will write down what THEY are responsible for doing each day. (this is also part of Tapestry . . . to create independent, self-motivated learners). I know there will be an adjustment period, but right now I am bound and determined not to start school until I have our whole year's worth of lesson plans. Right now I'm on week 18 . . . halfway there!!! I'm like the little engine that could . . ."I think I can, I think I can".

4. Discipleship. This may be the very MOST important thing I'm doing with my children this year. I'm going to disciple them and meet with each one of them individually once a week. Now, we will still have our family devotion at the table during breakfast. We will still do our Bible curriculum of "Firm Foundations". But on Tuesday, I'll meet with Hanna in HER room with no one else. Wednesday the same for Ash. Thursday the same for Alec. If my children are going to be Christ-like, they must know what that looks like. . . how better to teach them than one-on-one discipleship.

5. Tardiness. Yikes that's a pretty scary word for a girl who thinks if you're 15 minutes late, you're still on time. I think it's referred to as fashionably late. Whatever. That won't cut it this school year. The children will have to get themselves up with their own alarm clocks. They will have to be showered, dressed, have already eaten breakfast and cleaned up their mess, and at the kitchen table by 8:00. . . 3 tardies and you get tardy hall. . . which will require a bunch of busy work. I can't take credit for this idea. My friend, Trish, is doing it with her boys this year. I told her I'd be stealin' it.

6. Operation World. Yet another great idea from another great friend, Angela L. I've purchased this book called, "Operation World". In this book there is a country you pray for everyday. You pray for the missionaries. It gives very specific statics . . . like how much a year's salary is worth. We have a big world map in our school room. I bought (well actually Angela bought them for me) some colored push pins. After we pray for our country we will put our pushpin in that country. By the end of the year we will be able to see which countries and how many we prayed for. Feel free to steal. . . I know Angela would love for you to!

7. Grace. I'm a "work before play" kind-of girl. I am pretty disciplined and I think in order to be disciplined you have to somewhat have that attitude. . . otherwise nothing gets done. However, this year, if we're bombarded with school books, screaming at one another (yes, we have those days. . . we don't have the PERFECT homeschool), and we feel like we are going to claw our eyeballs out. . . we're going to take a break and go outside. In fact, I think everyday about mid-morning we will have a small snack and go on a bike ride, take Cookie on a walk, kick around the soccer ball or throw the football. . . just for a little while. . . . that way our day is much.more.enjoyable and our focus is not "let's hurry up and get finished with school".

8. Volunteer work. This has been on my heart for many, many years now. I'm not quite sure what we will be doing, but I want it to be something so my kids see a hurting world out there who desperately needs Jesus.

9. While I've concentrated on memorization every year, this year I'm picking it up a notch. Rather than memorizing scripture or portions of it, my goal is for us to memorize books of the Bible. I'm not fooling myself. I know it is a very high goal. However, I'd rather aim high and shoot low than aim low and shoot lower. . .know what I mean?

10. Less TV. Honestly I really don't like the TV. . . well it is a love/hate relationship. I think it takes away from quality family time. I want us to read more books outloud together, put together more puzzles, take more walks, more bike rides. And, just truly enjoy one another on a much, much deeper level.

4 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

You make me wish I was homeschooling! Sounds like a great year. I like the volunteer, grace, and one-on-one discipleship aspects. Oh, and the computer teaching and grading math would definitely be the route I'd need to take! Hope you guys have a great year.

Carpool Queen said...

Best wishes for a successful year! (And I think I'd have three tardies before the first week was up. Mornings are not my friend.)

Jessica Booher said...

I liked everything this post said :) I wanna come watch a school day. Maybe I can take notes. I have never considered it, but maybe if I plan now to be a homeschool mom, by the time I finish college, get married, and have kids, i will be ready. haha!

Also, two other friends and I are about to start memorizing 1st John. This was actually decided before Todd picked it so I was very excited. SO, if you wanna hop on the band wagon, I will give you our schedule :)

O Mom said...

This list makes me a little sad. I have homeschooled for the last 10 years. But things are changing at our house and I honestly don't know what the future holds for us in this area. But God holds the future in His hands so I'll find comfort in that...Blessings to you this next school year! :)