"The truth hurts." "The truth shall set you free." These are all sayings we've heard all our lives. Today, something was said to me that was truth. . . yet it hurt. . . to the point of tears. I'm a pretty sentimental person, yet I don't easily cry at the drop of the hat. Normally when the tears start to flow it is usually a buildup of things within me. Most of the time it is the littlest of things that will set my tears in motion.
Today, that happened. I've been going through some things, dealing with all kinds of feelings. . . good, bad, and ugly. . . trying to sort through all of them . . . trying to have the attitude of Christ. . . which has been really tough. Something very little was said to me today. Thankfully Jon hadn't left yet. We were in the kitchen and I just let it loose. . . then my tears started falling.
My sweet husband very gently came to me, put his arms around me, and gave me his shoulder to cry on . . . and let me cry, and talk, and cry until I got out everything I needed too. I even had my dramatic attitude of, "I just need to go to St. Simons. I say we stay the whole summer!!! I really mean it! I'm not just saying that." Knowing I didn't really mean it. Then. . . we talked. I had a mix of emotions and so did he (cause he's my knight in shining armor and all). Some anger, mostly hurt feelings. But, in all honestly, this person was right. O-U-C-H!!! Don't you just hate when someone hurts your feelings and they're right?!?
It mainly revolves around my attitude. Jon then told me there is no way I can change my attitude. I can't will myself to do it. I can try, and then I will fail. I just needed to pray over this situation everyday, pray for all the people involved, give it over to God and be in His word. Then He would change my attitude (that is Christ, not Jon . . .hee!hee!)
So, needless to say I was a bit of a "Debbie Downer" today. Just a little mopey. . . until I got in the Word. God had a word of encouragement for me. . . in Psalm 34. Then, this afternoon I received a card in the mail.
It was actually a "belated thank you note" (in her own words). But I truly believe God knew I needed the truth of her words also. Her encouraging words, words that lifted my spirited and put a smile on my face. I believe although she thought this note to be "belated", God knew I would need her words on this day. . . because also I had some harder words that were tough to swallow earlier in my day.
Isn't it wonderful how God uses the people in our life? Some bring us hard truth that we don't like, but needs to be said. Some bring us encouraging words that lift our spirits. We need BOTH!!!
The truth does hurt, but the Truth (the truth of God's word) also sets us free!!!
2 comments:
I'm sorry your feelings were hurt. And I can relate to that feeling . . . hearing what is true that needs changed in us is painful, especially when we realize other people see it too.
I'm glad you also got encouraging words. God is good that way. He wounds, and He binds up!
That reminds me of the scripture "a slap from a friend is better than a kiss from an enemy"
How true is that, I am so thankful for my friends that speak the truth to me for they are not gossipers but true friends who truly care about you.
Even though it hurts for a while you will reap the benefits for the truth will set you free...AMEN! xxx
Post a Comment