Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Busy Booger

She's been with me since I was 22 months old. I think my first words about her were, "Mama, get that baby out of my bed." We played a lot together as little girls.. . riding bikes, riding 4-wheelers (one time I actually ran over her head), jumping on the trampoline, playing Nintendo, watching TV, being at football games together (I was a majorette. She was on the drill team), going to the mall, stealing one another's clothes. We also fussed and bickered and even said we hated one another growing up. I'm the big sister she's always looked up too. She's the little sister who's loved me unconditionally. . . without fail.

We've fought over friends growing up. We even once dated the same guy (not at the same time). We've been mistaken as twins more times that we can count.
I remember my Grandmama telling me when I was a teenager, "One day you girls will be the best of friends." . . . "I'm NEVER going to be her friend," I said to her in my snottiest, brattiest voice.

Grandmama was right!!! She is one of the dearest and closest things to my heart. She can make me spit fire mad in a heartbeat. . . yet I'd give my very life for hers, without hesitation, in a heartbeat. I hurt when she hurts. I've cried more tears over her in the last 2 years (because of the pain she has gone through) than she'd ever know. I'm excited when she's excited. . . and when the two of us are together there is unmistakable bond between the two of us.

We can be in a room full of people and never speak 2 words to one another, yet it is known how close we are. We can be the silliest of the sillies when together or the serious of the serious. I safe with her. I always know she's on my side and she ALWAYS has my back!
About a week ago for 2 weeks prior to that I was super busy.. . more so than normal. I was trying to get ready for a homeschool fair plus pull off a surprise birthday party. You'd think I could have at least called her and said, "I love you. I'm sorry I'm so busy. I can't wait to see you."

Instead, she'd call me, and I'd be snappy. Ugggh, I so HATE that about myself. When I get in "so busy I can hardly think" mode, I tend to be snappy and snotty and just a plain booger to those I love most. . . I remember even snapping at my mom one morning. The next time she called I apologized for being a busy butthole (that is such an ugly word in my house).

So last week things were back to normal between the two of us. Sometimes talking 4 to 5 times a day, other times going a few days without talking. . . As we were "catching up", she told me, "I just cried to Scott telling him how much I missed you. I know you were busy, but I missed talking to you."
Let me tell you. . .

This BROKE.MY. HEART.!!!!

I told her how very sorry I was I made her cry and apologized for being such a booger when I'm so busy. I hate to the very core of my being hurting someone's feeling. This may sound honorable, but, trust me, I'm so guarded about other people's feelings, it is almost a character flaw on my part.

Thank goodness she loves me without fail. Otherwise, because of my ugliness, she'd written me off the first time she slept in my baby bed.

I love you Melissa!!! I promise from now on I won't get too busy to talk to you (Mama, that goes for you too:))

P.S. I also have a little sister, Kristen. I love Kristen dearly too. She and I both stay so busy and "get that" about one another. There I go, not wanting to exclude or hurt anyone's feelings, so I just wanted to tell Kristen (if you read this) I love you dearly and always love talking to you (even though it isn't as frequent as Mama or Melissa). You are my "bibbity, bobbity, boo".



1 comment:

Katie said...

I am jealous. I have always wanted a sister. I have two brothers, they are great...but not the same.