Wednesday, May 5, 2010

While I really want

to be posting about a 5K I ran this weekend with my "Faithful Feet" running club which includes my Hanna's first 5K ever. . .

to be posting about the BEST surprise party of the year. . . that I actually pulled off (with the help of MANY loved ones) without a glitch. . .

to be posting about the Ultra Marathon that was run weeks ago. . . still unable to figure out quite the right words to put it in. . .

to be preparing a post for Mer's 10 on the 10th . . . which will include 10 posts in one along with lots of pictures.

to be posting about how I made someone cry. . . who is as part of me as my right arm is . . . and I totally didn't mean too.

to be posting about how much I'm learning in my discipleship group.

I really feel led to just blog about some growing pains I've experienced lately. Growing can sometimes be tough. Sometimes we lay on our backs with our feet in the air and swing our legs and arms back and forth and act like a 2-year-old, saying "I want this. I want that." Not necessarily meaning stuff (i.e. car, house, etc.). '

Sometimes we say things we really shouldn't be saying and "drag" people into situations that's really, really unfair to bring them into. . . then, we feel really lousy and we feel the need to apologize a gazillion times.

Sometimes we fret over situations and spend endless hours being mad, angry, guarded . . . all because somehow we get this notion that life is ALL about us.

Sad to say I've been that way this week. . . ugghhh!!!! Doesn't make me shine too bright or feel very good about myself. In fact, I really realize how rotten I am. I'm wasting all of this mental time and energy into trying to change a situation that is totally out of my control. The LORD very gently reminded me that if I was in His word and focused on the things He calls me to do, then all this selfish, pitiful stuff I've been wasting my time on is foolish. . . absolutely foolish. And, quite honestly, if I was in the Word enough, I really wouldn't be worried/upset/mad about this particular situation.

I think if we all took an inventory of ALL the things that occupy our mental and emotional efforts then we would realize that probably just about ALL of it is foolish. We should be focused on Christ and so full of Him that we just ooze all over the place with His love, His ways, His word.

I was having a conversation with my sister yesterday. She said something with such truth that itjust range volumes in my ears, "Michele, we should only bear our hearts to the only one who can change our hearts. You've spent all this time venting to me about this situation, yet you still feel the same way. Vent it to the Lord. He's the only one who change you." This I know, but I SOOOOOOOO needed this reminder.

Then today I get this forwarded email. Jon actually forwarded it to me and he normally doesn't even read these things. It had a saying on it that I think I'm going to make "wall words" out of and put in my kitchen.

"Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God."

Words to live by. Words to live by.

2 comments:

Tiffani said...

Growing pains STINK. BUT, they eventually turn us in to something beautiful!

You are very important to me and I know that you are very careful and mindful about things...you will be stronger when you get to the other side of this time of cultivating..after all, exercise does make us stronger! Physical and spiritual exercise!


I love you!

livinginbetween said...

Your sis is one smart cookie! She is so right (drat!), and I find myself doing what you were doing . . . telling the wrong person (usually my own sis who can really do nothing about it).

How great that you're growing. It's just evidence of God's love and care for you.