Tuesday, May 25, 2010

It's All About Perspective

Jon is always telling me that. I even find myself saying that to myself and to others quite often. Really, though, life is truly about perspective. Jon and I have been dealing with much lately. . . in the way of relationships . . . more so in the area of finances.

No job. One month's salary in the bank. A ton of bills. It can weigh you down. Last week Jon and I, along with family and friends, were praying over a job Jon had been offered. He actually only applied for the job because it said, "No high pressure sales. Excellent costumer service." This fits my introverted husband. Wanna know what it was? A car salesman. However, the add was very misleading and just basically lied.

He was told to show up Friday for training and literally did not make the decision until the very last minute. We truly believe it was the right one. No one we've talked to since making this decision has made us believe this was the wrong decision. That was our biggest fear. . . making the wrong decision.

Thankfully God has provided for our family in other ways. We will be okay financially for a little while. . . but no free spending. . . I mean I literally had to cancel a girls' day out with some of my best friends to have an $8 pedicure. That is how tight this ship is right now. That's okay though.

I've been camping out in James 1. Little did I know I would have to use these very words to encourage my little sister last Thursday.

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. 5If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. 6But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; 8he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does.
9The brother in humble circumstances ought to take pride in his high position. 10But the one who is rich should take pride in his low position, because he will pass away like a wild flower." James 1:2-9

In a family full of sisters this is the way it works. When something is seriously going on with one of us we are calling one another like crazy (mama too). Then if not one answers their phones, we're calling the husbands (poor things, I know it drives them crazy). Although at times I literally want to scream when my home phone rings, then the cell, then repeat 4 times. . . I really wouldn't have it any other way.

Last Thursday my little sister (the preggo one) was diagnosed with preeclampsia. She was sentenced to bed rest for the remainder of her pregnancy (she's 30 weeks) and told they would probably have to take little Emory (or Emmy poo as Aunt 'Chele has been calling her). We were certainly all alarmed and didn't take this lightly. I teased her though and told her where God had me in my Bible study in James 1. . . that we should all be full of joy b/c of all our trials. Kris said, "Yeah, let's have a joy b/c of our trials party". I told her I'd bring the Gwantley (sp???) hotdogs b/c we were broke.

Today we found out Kristen has a virus called CMV. It is typically contracted from the elderly and small children (she's an occupational therapist who works at a nursing home and a part-time children's minister assistant). The thing with this virus is more than likely it will be transmitted to Emory. Although Kristen refuses and told her hubby NOT TO DARE look on the internet . . . her big sister did. Kinda scared me...made our finacial problems not so very important anymore.

When I talked with Kris today she was in pretty good spirits considering the circumstance. Of course, Mom is worried. Quite honestly, I think we all are.

We serve a mighty big God. This has not taken him by surprise and we will praise Him NO MATTER WHAT THE OUTCOME IS!!!! God is still on His throne. His fingerprints are all over our lives, and, yes, He has knit Emory together whether she be blind, deaf, with cerebral palsy or mental retardation. And we will praise Him because all of His works are wonderful. He has seen her unformed body and ALL of her days are written before one of them comes to be. (Psalm 139:13-16).

Our family would certainly appreciate any and all prayers.

4 comments:

theelizabethhighsmith said...

michelle, i will pray for you and your sweet family. your attitude is so strong. great is his faithfulness always sees me through. i believe it's phil. 4:17 my God according to His riches in glory shall supply all your needs.' I will pray accordingly!

Tricia said...

I am certainly praying for your situation and Kristen's.
I love the birthday pictures. JS looks so old. Time really flies.

Rayna said...

I know without a doubt that Emory is going to be healthy and fine. I rebuke Satan and the name of Jesus and I demand that he leave my family alone. God has formed Emory and He will continue to take care of her. Satan DOES NOT have any power over this. I will continue to rebuke Satan and Jesus will reign.
I love you,
Mama

jeanie said...

you're amazing. hope kristen is well - much love.