Thursday, May 13, 2010

Oh No, it's the Big 4-0!!!!

When 2010 hit I knew this was the year Jon would be turning 40. I'm a birthday girl. I LOVE THEM!!! But, the big birthdays. . . I especially love!!





So in January I started thinking and planning what I would do to celebrate. A surprise party really isn't Jon's cup of tea. You see, unlike his darling wife, he does not like to be the center of attention. But, my man loves to vacation.





So. . . I started checking into cruises. Oh baby, I picked out this 5 night cruise to Mexico!!! I started savin up my money. . . and BAM. . . no dice. Unfortunately, we have to scrimp and save every single penny we have right now.





However, I couldn't just let his 40th birthday come and go and not CELEBRATE in a very big way.





The next thing that came to my mind was a surprise party.





Now, there is no way I could've pulled off this thing on my own. I had LOTS of help.





Doug helped me get him out of the house and back into the house.


My mom made the cake.


My dear friend, Lisa, made MOST of the food. She loves to cook and was glad to do so. Everyone LOVED all of her goodies. She clearly outdid herself.


Jon's parents came and made sure my yard looked good. They weeded my flower beds, picked up limbs, etc.


I had other friends offer to help bring something, but I really wanted this to be an event that everyone could just sit back and enjoy. However, when they all got here, I did put them to work -Hee!Hee!





Remember, a few years ago when I planned to surprise him with a trip to Grove Park Inn (can you tell I like surprises?). Remember he found out?!?! I can hardly ever surprise the man, even with a Christmas present. So, I really wasn't too sure how I'd ever pull this thing off. I really felt like Sherlock Holmes except rather than trying to solve a mystery, more like create one.





THE PLAN





I knew Jon would be suspicious as soon as he saw cars in the driveway. I'm all the time having get-togethers here at the home. The day before his party was the big homeschool conference. I told him some moms were coming over to discuss what they bought at the conference. To not make me a liar, Lisa and Faith and I DID discuss what we bought.





Doug scheduled for he and Jon to run at his house at 3:30 that afternoon. He left the house. I screamed to all the kids (we had 2 of the kids' friends here with us), "Operation Surprise Party is in Effect." We all started boogying. . . pulling out decorations (from suitcases, cabinets in the garage, hiding place in the laundry room), putting out food, putting out plates/cups/napkins. I was bubbling with excitement.





Everyone started arriving. I put just about everyone to work. I everyone park on the side lot of our house other than just a few cars Jon would expect to see.





When Jon and Doug were finished running Doug texted me to let me know they were on their way. Jon's sister arrived just in the nick of time. She literally got here just a minute or two before they got here. When I saw her car, I ran and said, "Come in, quickly. They're coming."





We all anxiously go into our kitchen 'cause I knew Jon would come in the back door. He walked in.


We all yelled S-U-R-P-R-I-S-E!!! He said at this point he was thinking, "What are we celebrating?"

















After greeting everyone he ran upstairs to take a shower. I followed him to make sure he wasn't going to divorce me.




Here are lots of pictures from the party. They are in no particular order.
My sweet nephew started hiding as soon as they got here. Bless his sweet heart. After about 45 minutes he started to give up. He wanted so badly to jump out and yell surprise!



Check out Hanna's tongue as she's eyeing the cake!



Those are 40 candles. . . trick candles. . . which means FUN!!!!




The kids and I put a tribute to Jon on poster board. . . a "Jon through the years".



Some of the decor that hung from the ceiling.








Hanna and my sweet niece. My sister drove all the way from Columbia, SC that day.




Putting them to work. I have such GREAT friends!



Mama and the girls putting candles on the cake.



Lisa, Ms. Chef Extraordinaire, made Jon's favorite dessert. There were 2 of these. See the "4" spelled out with grapes? The other one had an "O".



One of the tables of food.



More food. . . See the girls in the background? This is where we were looking to watch for him to arrive.



Me and Gigi (Jon's mom). She's so precious and wonderful!! I'm so very blessed to have wonderful in-laws. Gigi also brought a good bit of food. She has a thing with these hats these days. She just got back from SSI and has several of these in all different colors. Must be an island thing?




A little mingling before the party.



Sweet girls.



Me and my sister-in-law, Holly. Doesn't she and Jon look a lot alike? I think Hanna favors her alot.



More 40 decor.



Jon and Doug. . . a pair of "deuces".




Me and Lisa. Such a precious friend to me! Lis, I COULD NOT have done this party without you!!!




Lisa and Tim. . . They were Jon and I's first friends when we moved to Griffin (or Jon moved back). I just loved had God has kept us together all these years. . . what is it? 11 or 12 years now?



Me and my sweet friend Jen G. I am so blessed by her friendship and her family.



Nanna and Hanna











Darren and Karen. Really sweet people. Darren and Jon are in the same core group together. I just started getting to know Karen at the pool last year. Very sweet folks.



My parents.



Jon and Greg. This is Jen. G's hubby.


Melissa took so many pictures for me. Thanks girl!




Holly, Jon, and Lee. Jon is the baby.



Jon and his best friend, Stacey. They've been friends since ???, well since they were little. Stacey was in our wedding. He lived above us in our first apartment. He's like family.



Holly and Granddaddy. A precious, precious picture!



Meanwhile, my brother-in-law, channeled his inner kid and kept alot of the kids busy outside playing football. My friend, Jennifer B's, son said, "Mama, I really liked him. He was so much fun. He's like a big kid."



What happens when you blow 40 trick candles out again and again? You get a smoky room.



Jon wanted Alec to help him blow them out. Alec blew out his gum on the cake. . . gross!



40 candles sure will light up a dark room.







The Birthday Boy



Candace, Angela, Suzanne


Barron, Greg, and Tripp



Jon, Melissa, Doug



No comments: