Alec and I headed to a pizza place here in town.
Originally we were going to go and see a movie. However, there is NOTHING. . . did you hear me screaming? NOTHING appropriate at the movies for a 12 year old. He's too old to see "Alvin and the Chipmunks" or "Tooth Fairy", yet all the other movies playing are sexual, violent, and bad language.
We were at a loss as to what to do. I think he was a little disappointed. I explained to him that it's hard to find wholesome things to do for a 12-year-old . . .it's not like I can take him to "Chucky Cheese" or a jumpy place. . .
Then, it hit me. . .
My boy's eyes lit up and a smile beamed across his face. . .
And we did JUST THAT!!!
Right now Alec is fascinated with all things military. . . sure does scare this Mama . . .but I always encourage my children to pursue their interests. I know these are God-given things. . . even if Mama doesn't like it.
He chose this book to take home with him.
Alec is not one to be very touchy-feeling. He told me at least 4 different times throughout the night, "Thank you Mama". Sweet words to my ears. I told him I was the one who needed to thank him for spending an evening for a date with his Mom. He could have asked me if he could have spent the night with a friend while the girls went out. . .
P.S. The next morning he was so excited about what he was learning in his Army book, as I was getting ready for Ash's basketball game, he was practicing his military tactics on the girls. . . yikes!!! Thankfully I heard giggles rather than cries.
P.S. The next morning he was so excited about what he was learning in his Army book, as I was getting ready for Ash's basketball game, he was practicing his military tactics on the girls. . . yikes!!! Thankfully I heard giggles rather than cries.

5 comments:
Hey Michele....It's Lori! You should take him to see "To Save A Life." It is rated PG-13 but it is suppose to be an AWESOME movie! You can google it....I am not sure if it is too mature for him or not, but like I said I heard it has an amazing message. Justin heard them talking about it on the Fish and they said teenagers were coming out of the movie saying it was a real eye opener and life changer for sure.
I don't have to tell you how much I love that boy!!!
So.much.fun. to share life with a boy! Glad you got to spend some special time together. My heart has definitely felt like getting each of mine alone and doing something special with each of them.
Glad you chose to spend the night doing something special with him!
I love bookstores!!!!
I can't wait until my little men would rather skip Chuck E. Cheese for Books-A-Million.
And just think...you guys were able to TALK in the bookstore. You can't TALK in a movie theatre!
Glad it was so special.
I too have a tween who would much prefer to go spend an entire afternoon in a bookstore! Looks like you guys had a great afternoon together!
Yay for raising readers! I hope my kids never turn up their noses at an offer to go to a bookstore. Great mom-son date idea!
Post a Comment