Friday, February 12, 2010

Favorite Valentine Memory

I'm joining in on Kelly's "Show us Your Life" party. This week the theme is your favorite Valentine memory. . . .

My favorite Valentine memory happened almost 14 years ago. Jon and I had our first date to a Candlebox concert (we were BOTH very different people back then). It was on February 13 at The Roxy in Atlanta, GA. We were meeting some of his college buddies up there.

Jon picked me up after he got off work. My Dad was so impressed because he was still in a suit and tie. We went back to his apartment so he could change into his jeans and a T-shirt. There we met a friend of his and headed to Atlanta.

I was so excited because he had just gotten a new Mustang and he let me drive!!! I thought I was the coolest thing to hit the town. . .

I really didn't know who Candlebox was. . . I'd heard of a few of their songs, but wasn't what I would call a "fan". Jon and I were really great friends. I really had a secret crush on him that I never breathed a word of it to ANYONE. In fact, in my efforts to cover up my crush I tried to set him up with one of my friends. We would talk to one another about different people we were dating, what we thought of them, etc. . . .everything from A to Z. In fact we were such good friends, he actually started flirting with some girls while we were at the concert.

Didn't matter to me. I had been dating this guy, Trey (who Jon knew about). . . so all was out in the open. . . NO BIG DEAL!!!

During the night I started feeling sick. There was this HUGE line to the bathroom. I ran past everyone, threw open a stall door, and threw up (sorry for the gory details). I felt so much better when I was done. I put my arms around Jon's back and said, "Let's rock and roll" (funny the stupid things you remember).

After the concert was over and we were walking out to the car I said, "Oh, somebody is going to be mad at me" (I was referring to Trey. . . although he and I weren't dating exclusively, I knew he really liked me a lot). This didn't really set well with Jon, and it was obvious.

Jon drove home. His friend Steven rode up front with him. I sat in the back and actually went to sleep. Talk about a date!!! It was now the wee hours into Valentines' Day.

Jon took Steven back to his apartment and I was actually still asleep. Before he took me home, he pulled into The Home Depot parking lot. He just didn't think it would look very good if my Dad saw me getting out of the backseat of his car.

Jon woke me up and told me I needed to get in the front seat. As I climbed up there I started telling Jon, "Jon, I'm sorry this date was so bad. You are a really good friend to me, and I would never want anything to come in between our friendship. I value your friendship. I'm sorry if I've made you mad."

There was a short pause of silence and he said . . . .

"Can I kiss you?"

That was not what I was expecting to hear!!!!

It was actually so very sweet. No guy had ever asked to kiss me before. It showed me how much Jon valued me and respected me.

Wanna know what I said?

"Yes".

And there you go folks. . . here we are 14 years later, a gazillion kisses later, 3 kids, a house, and a dog . . .and a lot of wonderful memories!!!

Join in on Kelly's party. I'd love to hear your favorite Valentine memory.

5 comments:

Heather said...

I am so behind on my blog reading.....what a sweet valentine story!

Amber said...

AW!!!

Is it bad that all I thought about was that y'all kissed after you threw up??? So sweet that man of yours!!!

Happy Valentine's Day!!!

Carpool Queen said...

Sweet, sweet story. I like a man who asks first. *sigh*

Michelle said...

Wonderful start to an even better story!!! Happy, happy Valentine's Day!!!!

Tiffani said...

sweet story.

nothin' like a good man, is there??!!