Friday, February 5, 2010

Makes Me Teary-Eyed Every Time

Oh, it gets me every.single.time.

Last week Alec went on his 2nd overnight trip with the church. . . without me. One was at the beginning of the school year. I really wanted to go and even asked him if he minded me being a chaperone. He, unconvincingly said, "That's okay, but I think they have plenty."
I was fine with that. . . because next year. . .when he moves up to the youth. . . the youth director will be sick.of.seeing.my.face.

He got just a teensy bit of that before they left.

I have this HUGE problem with kids and cellphones (sorry if this offends). . . I just don't see the purpose. Actually I think they do more harm than good. . i.e., sexting. . .

At first they said the kids could take them. .. then one morning I was running with Angela (who just happens to be my pastor's wife). . . I was talking to her as my friend, not as my pastor's wife, and just venting my frustrations about the cellphones and the ipods that were allowed.

That evening the youth director called some of the parents who were going and said, "A parent called David complaining about the cellphones." I was hoping it was another parent who felt the same way. I don't know and I don't really care. It is something I feel strongly about.

Well, low and behold they are loading up the bus and here comes these kids with their cellphones and ipods. UGGGHH!!!

I told one of my friends who was going as a chaperone my concerns with the cellphones (sexting. . . if you don't know what that is, it is where kids/adults send pornographic images via text). . .She has a middle schooler and wasn't even aware this stuff went on. She told me I needed to talk to Todd.

Todd is getting in the van to leave and I go and tell him I need to talk to him. I voiced my concerns and went ahead and warned him I am one of those parents he is going to hate. . . ha!ha!. . . half kidding, of course.

He was very nice and explained me that is entirely a miscommunication. Never in a group this large do they allow kids to have cellphones or ipods. He made the kids put them in their overnight bags. . .

Chalk that one up to Mom, Alec!!! I hope I didn't embarrass him. . . . but I am learning quickly . . . if it is important to me to not let the church look like the world. . . then I'm going to have to be vocal (in love), and I can't care if someone doesn't like me or doesn't want to be my friend because of it. . .

See my boy back there. . . I know he is thinking, "I wish she'd put that camera up."

I was a bundle of nerves when I got into my car. My stomach felt like butterflies were having a hay day in it. . . confrontation is NOT my thing!!!

I wouldn't leave the church parking lot until I could no longer see the church bus. As it got to rolling I had to fight back the tears. . . tears that symbolize my son is getting older and with that I certainly don't love him any less. . . but I can't hold my grip so tightly anymore. . . letting go is hard. However, I know if I don't gradually let him go. . . little by little. . . I will choke the life out of him. . . He's a really good kid, and I trust he will make good decisions. However, if and when he should fail to do so, I pray God will use his failures and mistakes and triumphs (for that matter) ALL for His glory, and His glory alone.

P.S. Alec had a GREAT time!!! I'm so grateful he was able to go.





4 comments:

Michelle said...

It is so hard watching them go! Last summer I had to watch my dd daughter get on a bus for the airport, knowing she was going to Haiti. I knew God was alive in her life but boy, did He use her trip to stretch ME! LOL

Tiffani said...

I am SO not looking forward to these moments but I know they're inevitable.

Good for you for standing up for what you believe in...Alec will eventually thank you for it! ;)

Danette said...

I am TOTALLY with you on this!

Anonymous said...

What a blessed son to have a mom who cares enough to fight for what's right and to protect her children.