Friday, June 19, 2009

We were Dancin' and Singin' and Movin' to the Groovin'


This past Saturday some friends and Jon and I got together for . . . "Oh, what a night." We are all still laughing like crazy, texting one another about it, and planning for another outing real soon . . . THAT is how much fun we had together.


It was actually a free event. However, if you wanted a table you had to "buy" one. Suzanne got this shin-dig together. We all chipped in for the table and all brought a smorgasbord of food. In fact, we had so much food, our table runneth over!!


Here are some fun moments that the camera captured. . .

First of all the picture above. . . I dragged Jon onto the dance floor with me. Remember the 6 weeks worth of dance lessons we took? They had some good "Swing" music playing. My friend, Pam and her husband, are taking those very same lessons that we took, right now. She challenged me to a dance off . . . game on, baby!! I ran to our table, grabbed Jon's hand, and begged him to go with . . . I even tried to coerce him by telling him it was a competition. . . . No dice!! Dude was off the dance floor as soon as I dragged him on the dance floor. This picture had to have been taken very quickly . . . 'cause Jon wasn't out there long.

Me, Terri, and Lisa
Awww . . . sweet Tim and Lisa


Me and my hunny who wouldn't cut a rug with me . . .


Me and Lisa. I think I've mentioned before that Lisa was my very first friend when I moved here. She and I have such a special friendship. We can talk everyday (in fact, her hubby, Tim, used to refer to use as "phone friends") or, we can go weeks or months without talking, and our friendship just picks right back up where we left off. I just love this about our friendship. Since we've moved into our new house we all see one another much more . . . and I'm so glad. We initially became friends through church. Then, after they left the church and we left . . . our friendship stayed strong and has continued to do so!!



Jon and Tim . . . . I have to say, in my opinion, these are 2 of the nicest guys ever!!! Tim is the type of person who will not say a negative word about anyone. He has such a servant's heart too . . . always willing to help friends out when needed!!! Thank you Tim for taking down the fence off my cabinets and for being here when we discovered our termites - YIKES!



Here are Ms. Suzy Q and Andrea cuttin' a rug big time on the dance floor. Andrea is my friend that I wrote about here.



View of the band and dance floor from our table . . .



Suzanne and Barron . . . aren't they sweet looking? They are such a fun couple to hang out with!!! Our families mesh very well together.



Crazy Carey and Andrea!!! Oh me, oh my. . . what fun this couple is!!! I am just going to leave it at that!! Carey had everyone in stitches laughing. We live in the same neighborhood now, so they hopped in our backseat and rode home with us. Jon and I both ran to the car to clean it out (it was bad, I'm tellin' ya) before we'd let them in -hee!hee!



A great group of friends. You know what I love about these ladies? We all lead very different lives. One is a full-time, stay-at-home mom, one is at work-at-home mom, two work for their families' businesses, and one is busy working in a corporate environment. Three are Baptists, one is Pentecostal, and one is Catholic. But our common denominator is that we all love our children, we all love our families, and we all love Jesus. . . and we all are crazy soccer moms!!! We also all know how to have a good time!!!


Side note here: One of my biggest pet peeves in life is when a mom gets on her high horse because she stays at home and doesn't work, or because she works and doesn't stay at home; when she sends her kids to private school rather than public school. Even worse than that, is when a mom thinks she is a better mother because she homeschools rather than sends her kids to school. I know SO many people like this . . . and it literally makes my skin crawl!!! We ALL love our children. We ALL want what is best for them!!! We ALL make the best decisions we know how to make. I HATE the prejudice that moms have with other moms because they choose different roads for their families. Imagine if we, as women and as mothers, started encouraging and learning from other moms who are different from us, rather than shooting arrows at them, what the world would be like. I think sometimes people think they can only be friends with people who make the same decisions as they do . . . big, huge mistake. These sorts of people do not know what amazing friendships they're missing out on!!! Prejudice, in all forms, drives me nuts!!! I think this is such an issue to me because I know a good bit of people like this who are very judgemental about other mothers. It makes my heart sad. Okay . . . 'nuff said about that.


Me and my sweet, funny, and amazing, friend, Suzanne. Thanks, Suz, for always being such an awesome social coordinator for all of our outings. I am so very thankful for you, for our friendship, and for the memories we're making. You make life so fun . . . not to mention, you are wearing great accessories!! You make this Mama in High Heels very proud!



Okay. . . see the hand. I know I've mentioned several times that when my mouth moves, so do my hands. In this picture I can tell it is getting its motor running so my mouth can start moving too. I think Jon and I are sitting here listening intently to whatever that Crazy Carey is talking about.



This is the point in the night when Carey is telling us what an athlete he is. He is a runner, but has had a really bad injury for the last year now. He was talking about the Muddy Buddy. Jon informed him that he can't be an athlete because he never knew of an athlete that came from Ga Tech (Carey played football from Ga Tech). Remember we are HUGE Ga Bulldog fans and Ga Tech is one of our biggest rivals.


I love dancin!!! But . . . . unless you go to weddings . . . there just really is not a place you can go and tastefully dance. Dance clubs are not just an option!!! Things that go on in places like that is not a place I care to be. This band that was playing played great 80s music. It was so fun to be able to get out on the dance floor and cut a rug in an environment that wasn't drenched in sin and darkness!
I must've had my camera already put up, because my friends Stephanie and Emily were out there cutting rugs with us too. I can't believe we didn't get a picture together. We had such a BLAST!!! New friends met old friends . . . oh, how I love that!! It was such a fun, fun night!!
**Any of fellow old school Baptists out there . . . now don't go to judging us for being on the dance floor. Everything was very tasteful and fun . . . nothing raunchy or sleezy. I was dancing in the same way I dance here at home when we crank the music up with the kiddos.

6 comments:

Carpool Queen said...

Love to dance! Only get to do it once a year at the husband's office Christmas party (unless I'm in the kitchen with the kids...and let's not document that, shall we?).

Tiffani said...

I echo all you said about the prejudices and such...with that said...what a super fun time! Looks like everyone was enjoying themselves and having a blast.

There's nothing like being with friends and making memories..I wish I would've known about this...G-town had something extra fun and exciting going on!

Next thing you know you'll be in Scoop magazine! ;)

theelizabethhighsmith said...

Fun Post!

Amen on the prejudice thing. I get SO sick of it over homeschool. I always feel like people judge me for having been home schooled, when I have NOTHING against public education. During my job interview I was asked if I thought I was superior because I was home schooled! I said no, it cracks me up that people without kids say, "I'd NEVER homeschool, or I'd NEVER send my kids to public schools." I just say I don't know what I'd do, since I don't have kids or know them! We are funny creatures.

You should get John to take you to this restaurant http://www.nicolas-restaurant.com/ i went for a bachelorette party, but it was clean and so fun! Nicola made EVERYONE dance, including me who looks like a retarded string bean when she dances!

happy dancing, happy weekend!

really.truly said...

I love to dance too....G is not a dancer so I usually end up dancing with my girlfriends :) Good fun!

That looks like a fun party :)

Faith said...

Your blogs are the bomb, girl! I enjoy reading them.

Sure wish we could've hung out with you (although you wouldn't have seen me with dancing shoes on! Steve likes to dance, but me, not so much-at least not in public!!).

It is a cool thing to accept each others differences and love on them anyway. Jesus shines through you and I am so glad to call you friend!

Glad you guys had fun!

Amber said...

SO MUCH FUN!!!

Love to dance and love hanging out with great friends!!