Jon called me yesterday as I was grocery shopping. He had been to the bank to make a deposit (praise the Lord for that). As he was making the deposit an employee of the bank asked him if he was the runner with the funny shoes?
You've got to be kidding me!!
Then she said, "Didn't your wife win the race (talking about the 1st woman to cross the finish line, not the 1st person . . . the men always win these things)?"
She told him that she was on the race course taking pictures for the bank. Apparently our shoes must've stirred up some chatter in the bank. They're going to make us famous in the running community. When shoes are that ugly they have to do something for ya, right? (if you have no idea what kind of running shoes I'm talking about . . . click here)
This made me laugh and giggle.
I heard from a friend of mine I used to go to church with. I was really glad she called me because I'd lost her phone number. She called to invite me to her daughter's baptism. She was so, so sweet. Working in the children's ministry for the 10 years I've done it . . . you don't get very many thank yous from parents. Now I've always felt and received appreciation from each children's minister I served under. But, if I stopped and thought real hard . . . without making my brain hurt. . . and then I counted how many parents have actually thanked me? I would have to say (including this one) somewhere in the ballpark of 3 people . . . maybe? That is serving for 10 years, at 2 different churches. I have never once dedicated my heart and my time to this ministry to receive thank yous or praise. . . I do it because I love Jesus and those precious children.
Meredith's words made my eyes fill up with tears. She thanked me for dedicating my time to teach her child about Jesus . . . and although I wasn't there when her child accepted Christ . . . that I had planted seeds in her daughter's life. Meredith's words were so very kind and genuine. She was so excited about her daughter's baptism and I feel very honored she went out of her way to call me and invite me. Meredith really made my day!
I told someone a couple of months ago that that has really been the hardest thing for me about this whole church transition thing. I was not burned out with the ministries I served in . . . Jon and I both just knew in our hearts it was time to move on . . . and looking back now . . . I can see where God had orchestrated things to lead us.
I've been oh so very lonesome for a church family. I used to kid with people and say church and Wal-mart were where we spent all of our time. Other than the loneliness I have felt for a church, serving in the church is the other thing that has been so very difficult for me in this transition. I'm itching at the bit to get back to being involved and dedicating my time and energy to serving . . . especially after my sweet conversation with my friend.
3 comments:
I've been meaning to tell you that a lady at VBS was wearing your ugly shoes this week! I got so excited when I saw them bc I knew EXACTLY what they were.
And they're uglier in person than they were in the picture.
In a weirdly fascinating sort of way.
It can be so hard finding a church. Much to say on that subject....but, instead I'll just say...your blog looks pretty. Love the new look!
I feel for you...finding a church is hard especially in small towns. We went through that almost 2 years ago and it's rough. Luckily we found what we were looking for.
It's sad when you burn out in ministry. That's where I was. I felt like I couldn't worship anymore b/c I was so concerned about the ministries I was helping with.
Good Luck! I hope God plants you soon!
Post a Comment