With that being said, I have to start out by saying for as long as my memory goes back I have been a Daddy's girl. Loving him to the very best of my ability, being his biggest cheerleader, and ALWAYS, ALWAYS being on his side and, worst, making excuses for him.
I am a pretty merciful person . . .but I always carried it extra far when it came to my Daddy.
I don't know what makes people what we all refer to as "Mama's girl" or "Daddy's girl". But, I do believe God, Himself, orchestrates our hearts this way for one reason or another. I just happened to have a heart that was just crazy about my Daddy . . . not because he deserves it . . . because it doesn't. It's just been that way always.
Let me give you a short history lesson on my Dad. I believe he happens to be the worst case scenario. He believes he is a Christian. The Bible tells us in Matthew 7:20 that we will be known by our fruits. The Bible also tells us that we will turn from our sin (1 John 3:6-10). There is no evidence of this in my Dad's life at all. I've tried to talk to him, love him, lead by example, and most importantly pray for him . . . but he has not changed.
My attitude towards my Dad changed about two years ago. My family and I had just returned from a trip to Disney World and I had, what seemed like, thousands of voice mails. They were from my Dad's wife. She was playing recordings to me of voice mails he'd left to her. I thought to myself, "Who is this monster?" "How can he say those awful things?" "What possesses him to talk this way?" These are messages that are forever seared on my heart and my mind. At that point I totally and completely released him to God. My constant prayer over him became very simple, "God, do Your Will in his life." Simple and straight to the point. I think because he could be a pretty decent person when he was around me made me believe the lie that he was close to accepting Christ. I had been very deceived!!!
Since then my heart towards him has changed also. I'm no longer afraid of him, as I have been all of my life. My Dad is an alcoholic, drug user, and I grew up with him abusing my mom and stepmom. He has NEVER EVER laid a hand on my sister or I, but the fear that he would was always there.
I can remember as a little girl closing my door at night, laying on my stomach, and putting many covers over me . . . thinking this would keep him for hurting me. There were times when I would fall asleep to the screams and cries of my stepmom. I can remember him hitting my mom in a parking lot. I can remember him coming home and shooting a gun in the house. I can remember sneaking out of my bedroom window with my pregnant mom because she was so afraid of him. I remember him pulling a knife on her and me getting in-between them. I can also remember finding what I called, "bags of grass" and hiding them in the couch . . . hoping if he didn't find them, then maybe he'd stop. I can remember finding a bottle and syringe on the back of the toilet, calling my mom and her calling the pharmacist to find out what he was shooting through his veins. It was steroids.
As a teenager, my memories of him are times of him cussing me out for not being at home enough, my stepmom calling me telling me he'd been drinking and to please spend the night with a friend or my grandparents.
But slowly and surely my fear of him is gone. . . and because of that I am able to boldly speak the truth to him. Now that doesn't mean I'm not nervous or butterflies aren't nesting in my stomach . . . but the words are able to make it from my heart to my mouth.
A few weeks ago he called and left me a voicemail cussing me out. There were no tears this time. No anger. No resentment. I knew I had to let him know he was wrong. When this had happened in the past I'd call him soon and in my bubbliest, sweetest voice act like everything was okay . . . never, ever addressing how he had just spoken to me.
Not this time though. This Father's Day is different. For the first time in my 32 years of life I will not be speaking to my Dad on this Day that was set aside to honor him. Instead, I sent him a card, and this is what it said:
"Dad, I got your message the other day. I love you and you are still my Dad. However, I don't know how to respond or even if I want to respond to a message like that. In the past, a message like that would have sent me into tears. When I heard this message I didn't feel anything. I was just numb. I love you enough to tell you the truth, and, the truth is, it is not appropriate to talk to people this way. I refuse to shut you out of my life, nor am I angry with you. But, you have to know that this is not okay. I know that you were angry because you feel like Melissa and I do not call you often enough. However, we all lead busy lives, and truth-be-known, my life has been so crazy lately with our move, that those I have talked to, get in touch with me. Praying for you always. Know that I love you!Michele"
The thing I struggle with the most is still being obedient to my LORD. I am still commanded to honor my father and mother (Exodus 20:12). I have an open heart and mind, and I'm not offended easily. If any one of you have any thoughts on this, please feel free to share.
I wondered if it was dishonoring him to put this out there for everyone to read. But, this blog is my journal. I haven't purposely meant to dishonor him, but I want to be able to look back and see what this day was like. I could have privately noted it. . . but you never know if someone else is dealing with the same issue also. I've never talked disrespectfully to my Dad, and I don't intend to. . . any ideas or further thoughts on this?
If you notice on my profile I say I feel like I have a real-life Cinderella story . . . . understand now why I say that?
10 comments:
I know how this post must've been for you to write. I know your heart for your Dad. I know your prayers for him and I know your heart to see him know Jesus.
I have so very many of those same scary memories...one of the reasons I think we 'get' each other so well. Glad that you have Jon to celebrate today but mostly that you are celebrating your Heavenly Father who we NEVER have to be afraid of and that never makes us cry.
I love you!
wow, girl! i had no idea. thanks so much for sharing a little bit of your story. it means so much to be in relationship with others to have open and honest lives! i love that about you!! :)
even though my dad is NEVER been that bad (as you described dealing with,)he does speak to my mom in ways that i'm not proud of. i have spoken to him about it on many occasions and tried to be love in truth. i don't know that he will ever change the way he acts (especially towards her) but i pray that he does. i think being open and honest is always the best way God would have us be. it's not always easy to speak truth in love, but i think it honors God.
...i know you said you have a part 2, and i'm looking forward to seeing how you made the rest of the day/weekend turn out good. :) know that i love you and will be praying specifically for you and your father.
i know i've said this many times to you, but i feel like i should say it again. i'm so proud to call you my friend. you're so sweet and funny and i love that you are in love with my Jesus! love ya, girly! i'm looking forward to hanging out with you one day soon!
Wow.
I never knew this was your story.
Like I was saying to Tiffani earlier, I'm so very sorry that some of my friends had to deal with so much grown-up stuff as kids....stuff that no child should ever have to know.
I used to have a pastor that said life can either make you bitter or better. I'm so glad you've chosen to be better in spite of what you've had to experience.
I can't apologize for the pain someone else causes, but I just want to say that I'm so sorry, Michele. But I'm also so glad that you have a close relationship with our Abba Father...the perfect Father.
How brave of you to be honest with your earthly dad and to set healthy boundaries! I'm certainly not an expert, but I don't think honoring your parents means that you have to allow them to be abusive. You are teaching your children how to deal with people who abuse their authority in our lives. You are teaching them how to draw healthy boundaries. You are doing a great job.
Michele, My Sweet Friend,
Your story has touched me to my core. I didn't know that you held this story, but am so comforted that our precious Heavenly Father has revealed Himself to You. Lean on Him. He is Enough. Always and forever Enough.
Thank you for sharing your story. You are incredibly brave. And strong. And remarkably forgiving.
I admire you so much.
I will be praying for your relationship with your dad. Stay strong in Jesus! What a wonderful example you are to your kiddos. And to your friends too.
You inspire me! Love ya!
I am proud of you, Melissa and your mom. You are real overcomers.
Thank you so much for sharing your story..It is awesome to see you striving to follow God's word in all you do. Your kids are so blessed to have such a loving mom and dad. Just know that all their childhood memories will be filled with joy!
Michelle,
I appreciate your sharing this part of your history with us. That takes great courage!
I am grateful for the peace the Lord has brought you regarding your Dad. You are wise to tell him exactly how you feel. You did that in a way that wasn't disrespectful, and yet very clear.
Just catching up on your blog after having been gone. I'm choosing this post to leave my comment, because I'm so incredibly proud of your strength though I know it has come at a heavy heavy price.
Steel is strengthened through fire.
I don't think you are dishonoring your dad by putting this out there...you're being honest and setting this before other believer s that can pray with you for you daddy.
I'm so glad that you have your Cinderella story!
Post a Comment