Sunday, April 18, 2010

Snickers Marathon

In preparation for our Ultra Marathon, we needed to do a long run. What better way to get a long run in than just run a marathon.

I'd heard lots of good things about the Snicker's Marathon. It didn't disappoint at all. . . other than the little fact we were told it was a flat course. Angela and I decided in our postmodern society where words no longer have meaning and everyone defines words according to what is relative to them. . . that flat was one of these words. The course wasn't flat. When I hear flat, I think . . . literally . . . flat, meaning no hills. This course had a few hills here there, but it really was a great race.



We headed down to Albany Friday afternoon. We rode with 2 new friends (new to me, old to Whitney and Angela). We had great conversation on the way down.

We met Chuck and April at the Expo then all headed to dinner at Johnny Carinos. Loved the fellowship. Didn't so much love the food.

After dinner Angela, Whitney, and I headed out to shop. Angela needed some new shorts. Then, we hear it is going to be low 30s starting the race. . . GREAT, I packed for a much warmer race.


Thankfully Lindy had a hat I could borrow and I managed to scrape up enough layers to keep me warm. The "l" on Lindy's hat we decided stood for "Loser" (gotten hold up to my given name by my neighbor). I took a pair of Angela's socks and put them on my hands for mittens.

This was going to be Ashley's first marathon. Although I was really excited for her, I certainly didn't want her to beat Angela and I. The first 6 miles we all ran together. Then, Angela and I had to take a potty break and do "#2", if you know what I mean. Sheesh, I know we waited at the port-a-potty 5 or so minutes. Then it took a little longer to use the bathroom. . . needless to say we were way behind Chuck and Ashley.

I started running much faster than our normal pace. After about 4 miles Angela told me we couldn't keep this pace up. . . we were going to hit a wall if we did. Angela leads my core group. I told her, "Angela, I know this is pride, and I know it is a respectable sin. . . but I have got to beat her. I have to go."

As I ran head of Angela, she started yelling at me "Get back here you sinner. Come back! Repent!". I was laughing so hard I was literally barreled over. I yelled back to her to stop making me laugh, she was slowing me down.

She eventually caught up to me (which I knew she would). We ran just about the rest of the race together. We met this really cool guy. . Jay. . . he currently had both brain and kidney cancer. He'd already lost one of his eyes to cancer (he had sunglasses on). He was a Christian. We shared with him some things we'd been learning in Bibliogoly/Hermaneutics. He is retired from the Marines. A really great guy.

I also saw another familiar face. I saw this guy and said,"Do I know you? Where do you live?" He told me he'd run Chickamauga. I then asked him if he was in the discussion about Creation versus Evolution. YEP!!! So.very.cool.

About

mile 23 I spotted Ashely and her brightly colored outfit. I started going ahead. I had my sights on her. I caught up with her and asked her how she was doing. Bless her heart. . . even the competerito in me felt sorry for her. Her poor knees were killing her. I encouraged her and told her it was all mental.. . . she could do it.





Then, I took off. . . I am a competitor, you know?

I was so excited. My best marathon time yet 4 hours 12 minutes. As far as the next marathon on our agenda, Chickamauga again. This time we will step up the training much harder. . . we are all going to try to qualify for Boston. Here's to hoping. . .

1 comment:

theelizabethhighsmith said...

i really hope this doesn't offend you, but i totally sympathize with you on johnny carinos. when we had one in fayetteville, i affectionately referred to it as johnny crap-inos. and i'm not too much of a food snob. i admire your running skills. you are ultra-dedicated! i stand impressed!