The kids all got in their places. . . remembering all that Ms. Michele had told them.
Stretching. . . plenty of water. . . you're only competing against yourself (do what I say, not what I do. . . this race I was running competitively and I had my eye on someone to beat). . .
Someone must've thought in the spewing of all things running I'd said "Don't forget your blankie". Just Kidding. It was really cool. . . and this cutie pie was just all the cuter running with her blanket wrapped around her.
It was also so very cold. Jon looked extremely cold and he's NEVER cold. He wasn't running the 5K. He was just there for support. I think he'd run 8 miles that morning with his friend, Doug.
During the kids' races poor little Hanna fell. Bless her heart, as she ran to the finish line I saw her sweet bottom lip quivering like crazy. She had drawn attention to herself (which she avoids like the plague). Poor little thing wouldn't even accept her medal. She just wanted to go to the car. I took her ot the car and she released her pool of tears like a tsunami.
Meanwhile, our older boys and some of the mom's (and dear friends, I might add) were getting ready to gear up for their first 5K. . .
Hanna eventually calmed down and accepted her medal and was proud to show it off.
All to boot, she had her sweet friends to encourage her also.
Okay, so I had my sights set on beating someone. She is actually a friend of mine. However, she doesn't know that I'm always trying to secretly beat her. She was ahead of me the first mile. I knew she was battling an injury. I passed her and from that point on I stayed ahead. Actually I was the 2nd woman to cross the finish line and I had my best 5K time yet . . . 22:40. Whoo to the hoo to the hoodie hoo hoo!!! My favorite part? Jon at the finish line yelling for me!!!
The boys really, really surprised me. I was so very proud of them!!! Alec came in at 27:52.
Here are Ash and a few friends she ran with. Her time was 33:36.
I was so very proud of everyone who participated. My camera ran out of batteries. The moms all did such a great job. After I finished I actually went back on the course to encourage my "Faithful Feet". I walked, not ran. I always hate when I'm running a race and other runners finish, then they come back to run the course again. To me it just speaks of arrogance and bragging. . . so I walked fast to find my kids/moms running.
It was really so delightful afterwards to see how happy everyone was. .. even despite not having a cream-filled donut (Ha!Ha! Faith). They all had such sweet words for me that just delighted my soul (remember I'm a words of affirmation girl?!?).
In just a few weeks we have our 2nd one coming up. I can't wait. Hopefully this time it won't take me so long to blog about it.
2 comments:
Love this!!!!!!!! Congrats and the participation was amazing!!!!!!! Love that Jon was at the finish!!!! Soooooo sweet!
What a fun day!!! I'm still so proud of everyone!! Glad we've been able to do this together!!
Love you, running chick! ;)
Post a Comment