Wednesday, May 6, 2009

My Date . .. with an 11-year-old

I don't spend nearly enough one-on-one time with my kids as I want. We spend tons of family time together, but there is just something very special and precious about spending time to focus on that one special person.

Friday I took Alec with me to the homeschool conference for the first time ever. He and I share the same love for books, so I knew he was going to love it. I gave him a list and set him loose to find his stuff. I think he enjoyed this independence. He would check in with me and let me know what he found. I told him to treat himself and put a few extras in the suitcase for his pleasure.

After loading up our suitcases we then had to sort and compare what we both had found. He was so excited. He just recently saw The Lord of the Rings trilogy and found the book. He also got a really cool book on pirates. We found some movies about WWII. He and I both share the same love for history. We both were just giddy . . . giddy I tell you . . . over all of these books and the deals.

We then went to the vendor hall and got some Father Gilbert Mysteries, Your Story Hour, and Adventures in Odyssey.

He was in awe at all of the books.
We both were starving so we headed north to Atlanta and went to The Old Spaghetti Factory. Neither of us had ever been, so we were both excited. Our conversation over lunch was just precious. We talked about everything from C.S Lewis and J.R. Tolkien, our faith, other religions, elves, Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, video games, his friends. We talked about how yummy the bread was and how he clearly out ate me with all of the food. We talked about love languages. He wanted to know what they were. He guessed mine correctly as being words of affirmation. He then confirmed to me what I already knew . . . his is quality time. I know one day very soon our conversations will change from all of this "boy" stuff to girls . . . who he likes, who he thinks is pretty, and . . . yes . . . probably even who has broken his heart.

We then headed to Ross to buy him some summer clothes. He picked them all out and was very excited. I even headed over the Junior's section (yes, I buy my clothes in the Junior's department, and, yes, I know Stacy and Clinton from What Not to Wear would tell me I was participating in a fashion no-no) to buy myself a few things.

Dating my kids? Yes . . it is precious. No . . . I don't make the time for it I should. Did this one special day . . . a day that is etched on my heart forever . . . give me the drive and the boost I needed to do it more often? ABSOLUTELY!!!! It is time that is certainly never, ever wasted. You know how I know?
As our day came to a close, Alec (my nonaffectionate, non "tell you first that he loves you" - he says i love you too, but never says it first), reaches over and grabs my hand and says, "I love you, Mama." I held his hand and said, "I love you too, baby."

10 comments:

Carpool Queen said...

Sigh.

I love it when my kids are sick because that's usually our only one on one time.

And you can bet I drag their sick selves all over town with me and out to lunch.

As the world spins said...

Yes we all need to "date" our sons. Ashley is almost 20 now and has become a my best friend and it has been so easy to be part of her world for the past 20 years. I guess it is cause the "lil" girl world is where we as woman are comfortable. But the rewards of crossing over to our sons world is breathtaking.

Nate will be 13 this year but he is already my rock. I have watched recently how he will be busy in his "guy" world with his friends, baseball and video games but he will take a moment during the day and want to enter into my world. He will casually just ask so what's new? LOL I love when he does, I know in his clumsy boy way he is wanting to chit chat. And how he randomly just walks up and kisses my forehead.

What a blessed day you had to have on your date. I will be making one soon with my special lil guy. Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

This was such a sweet day. All three of mine are such snuggle bunnies. I keep praying that the day doesn't come when they will stop crawling all over me. I wish I could just keep them in my lap forever.

really.truly said...

What a wonderful day. How sweet that he went to the convention with you! Did you wear those heals to the convention?? :)

I look forward to dates with my boys. Such a sweet post!!

Tiffani said...

Oh how I love dates!!!

Do you realize how much we have to talk about??!!

I bet the conference was awesome! And, I know Alec enjoyed being with you!

Lisa said...

This made me cry! Alec is getting so grown-up. You have so much to be proud of with that boy (soon to be man) of yours. One day that will be me and Tucker and I will be calling you telling you all about it and bawling my eyes out. I am so glad you got that time with him. Love you!

Lorrie said...

Thanks for the great post. It reminds me that I need to schedule some dates with my sons...its been a long while.

Stephanie @ My Answered Prayer said...

How sweet is that....That sounds like my boy. Glad you had fun!

Amber said...

I love dates with my boys. Ours are usually over Happy Meals, but still just as sweet. I love getting them off by themselves. So special.

He'll remember this day forever.

Sarah said...

Love your blog...love that picture of your kids around the pile of books looking so excited! And I try to go on a "kid date" too...you've reminded me to get back into that habit.