Jon and I have started off race season (what we refer to as running 1 race a month together) with the same run I beat him in last year. Yes, the one and ONLY race I have ever beat him in. I bragged about it for an entire month!!! The next race, he kicked my booty and has been doing so ever since.
I was really hoping I'd pull out another win on him. But with all of our moving I haven't been exercising like I normally do and neither has he . .. that is why I thought I had a shot at a possible win over him.
I normally place in my age group, but I had doubts that I would place this time . . .
Well, I didn't place in my age group because . . . with a time of 24 minutes and 41 seconds I was the first woman to cross the finish line!!! I was SO EXCITED!! I'm so glad the fast people stayed at home and slept in. This has been a goal of mine for awhile. I couldn't believe it.
Normally I like to be in the 23-minute range, but I had told Jon on the way to the race that as long was in the the 25-minute range I'd be happy especially with the lack of training I'd put into it.
For the first 2 miles Jon and I ran together. I was listening for all the right signs to try and pass him . . . heavy breathing, quick breaths, gasping for air. I heard it . . . but it wasn't from Jon . . . it was right under my own nose. I was the one that started slowing down after mile 2. He kept his same pace and came across the finish line at 24 minutes 6 seconds. DERN!!!
They normally give a prize to the overall winner (which most of the time is a man) and the first woman finisher. I ended up with this insulated cooler filled with all sorts of goodies.
There was someone there from our local newspaper and he asked Jon if he wanted to be interviewed. Jon told him, "No, but she'll talk to you." Of course I would, and I did. I was so pumping myself . . . telling him how I was the first girl to cross the finish line, telling him all about my shoes (which I mentioned FIRST. . . they guy didn't even notice them). I was talking so fast he couldn't keep up.
He did mention me in the paper . . . in about a sentence and a half . . . simply stating my name, my time, and that I was the first girl to finish. He quoted me as saying, "I was the first girl to finish. It was great."
He didn't even mention my shoes!!!
7 comments:
I am soooooo proud of you and Jon both. I love you, Mama
Great time! I don't think I'd ever be able to run that...not since high school! And leave it to a guy not to mention the IMPORTANT details! Love your blog.
They didn't even mention the shoes?!? What a travesty of justice!!
Awesome! You go girl! He should have taken a picture of your shoes and done a feature on them! haha
LOL! Love the newspaper article story..you are too funny.
I'm impressed by the running....and your flat tummy:)
What a great thing to do as a couple!
So...I'm just tired thinking about all that running! But props to you, girl!!
And is it terrible that I was all proud of you when I thought you had just run 1 mile in 24 minutes. And then you said, "...mile two..." and I gained a whole other level of respect for you. My mile? Well...I wouldn't be able to finish one...
And then you just made me all kinds of happy when I noticed the what appears to be a RUNNING SKIRT! That is fabulous! And supremely girly.
YAY!!!
You go girl! I agree though, he should have mentioned the shoes!!! :)
Post a Comment