Sunday, May 3, 2009

Love Language

I often joke around about love languages, you know the 5 ones right? words of affirmation, physical touch, gifts, service, and quality time. If you have no clue what I'm talking about, go here. I believe there is so much truth in what Gary Chapman talks about with our love tanks being full and empty.

I'm definitely a words of affirmation girl. I desperately need at pat on the back, a 'that a girl.' I've noticed that when my love tank is empty I tend to go around reminding EVERYONE of EVERYTHING I do, complaining of how hard things are, whining about having too much on my plate . . . and to be honest . . . I'm just not very pleasant to be around. When I'm behaving in this way it is simply my way of saying, "Please tell me what a good job I'm doing." I love to hear Jon say, "Hey beautiful. You look pretty today." Things like that.

Jon is definitely a physical touch guy. He gives me and the kids lots and lots of hugs throughout the day. I love that he is so affectionate. . . b/c my 2nd love language is physical touch. Jon also does not give his hugs away freely . . . only to those he's close to. For example, at church when people are hugging others, Jon is just one that looks like a "handshake guy." You know what I mean? He's just not one that hugs those he's not super close to and it is evident by how he carries himself.

All that being said, I like to take the love languages to a different level. I tease and say to Jon that his love language is really food and competition. I tease my Mom and tell her her love language is food and organization. Alec's would be video games and books. Ashley's would be "Adventures in Odyssey" and riding her bike. Hanna's would be the dog, or pretending, or food (the child is constantly asking me what we are having for our next meal). Mine? Well, mine would be clothes, coffee, and books!!! These are the things in life that just make us all giddy!!!

So, what about you? What would you say your love language is?

9 comments:

Carpool Queen said...

My love language is bling bling and more bling. For I am shallow and distracted by shiny things.

I can also be bought with a snickerdoodle.

Amber said...

According to Sir Chapman, I'm a Words of Affirmation girl. With a hint of Acts of Service.

According to Queen Me...and Old Navy and Target pass will turn me to mush.

Stephanie @ My Answered Prayer said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and giving me the encouragement for our healthy lifestyle change.

I love food...desserts especially but looks like that won't be possible anymore.

Love to shop and I'm with Carpoolqueen....BLING

Friends and Family!

really.truly said...

I'm probably a words of affirmation girl too.

A shoppping spree at Homegoods, great coffee and books will work too!

Heather said...

I always crack up when I read your posts because they ALWAYS show how alike we are!!!! I joke with Todd all the time that my love language is Sonic drinks!! :) And the last few months I have told him my love language is him doing things in the baby's room!
My real one is gift giving or words of affirmation. :)

Michele said...

I just love reading all of these. You guys are all so funny!!

Christy Laster said...

hehe...i love this. my "true" love language is physical touch and then acts of service (especially around the house)

but my other love languages would be TARGET (:D) and dove milk chocolate! (YUMMY)

Stacy said...

#1 for me - acts of service. It used to be words of affirmation, but now I seem to be more about "show me!"

Husband JB is a physical touch person, which sort of stinks for him b/c my high-octane personality rarely enjoys stopping to give the hugs.

Son #1 (8) is all about words of affirmation. My first born doesn't fall far from this first-born-mama tree!

Son #2 is also physical touch. Homeschooling is awesome for him because we can punctuate his lessons with lots of hugs.

Daughter #1, who is pushing 5 y.o., has begun to demonstrate that she is a quality-time person. Not so great with a family of 4 kids, kwim?

Daughter #2 just turned three and I can't tell hers yet. Just in case I am doing lots of affirming, serving and cuddling! [I'm too broke to lavish gifts and quality time is at a premium!] ;)

Totally hijacked your post! I am sorry. =( I think I am going to go one step further, too, I am afraid and copy this idea for my blog this week.

♥stacy

Tiffani said...

I am definitely physical touch and words of affirmation

JuJu's is snacks!

I need to get out this book again!