Here are a few of my other deals.
Alec's Saxon Math - I got the DIVE CD which is a teacher that actually teaches him Math on the computer. Can I get a yippee skippee from anyone out there? I DO NOT want to have to relearn Pre-Algebra/Algebra to teach it to my kid . . . lazy, I know. . . I got the teacher book, student book and DIVE CD all for $67. This would normally cost me about $120-150 brand new.
Alec's Apologia General Science - teacher and student book I got for $20. Brand new this would cost me anywhere from $50-80.
Although we will be reading classical books for literature I did get Ashley a Bob Jones literature textbook for $3.00. I thought the stories in this book would be great for pleasure reading. I've done Bob Jones literature in the past, and I really liked it.
I got Hanna a 1st grade reading text book too for $2. I think alot of the short stories in this book will be so good for her to improve her reading skills.
I got LOTS of Adventures in Odyssey. These are awesome. Since we aren't big TV folks (i.e., no TV in the car, very little here at home), my kids love these stories. They teach great Biblical truths and are very entertaining.
I also got some "Your Story Hour" CDs. . . they tell stories of different historical figures. . . George Washington, Eleanor Roosevelt, Abraham Lincoln, etc. . . and dramatize them. Good stuff folks, good stuff. I really love to listen to things like this with the children as I am cooking dinner. Alot of times they will draw or color as we listen to them together. I think I enjoy them just as much as the kiddos.
Here are the 2 suitcases I filled up full of books.
I say every year that I want to go and hear the speakers. I've never done this. Maybe next year?
I love meeting new homeschool moms. I met this one mom who helped me decide on the Math to do next year. Another mom I met as we were sorting through our books . . . we talked about classical literature and she reminded me to not forget the library. I saw several Amish/Mennonites. These people fascinate me, and I would love to sit down and have a cup of coffee or 2 with them. I wanted to take their picture, but I know they don't appreciate things like that, and I wanted to be very respectful.
Homeschoolers certainly have a stereotype. I will say I did not see the first woman in a denim jumper . . . although I did see some with hair pulled up in buns. I saw this really cute mom decked out in a cute shirt, a great pair of jeans, some great accessories, a cute pair of high heels and a super-cute boy with her . . . oh wait, that was me!!! Just kidding. . . most of the moms there were cute moms. . . normal moms . . . just like the rest of us. You don't have to wear a denim jumper, no makeup or jewelry, tennis shoes, and pull your hair up in a bun in order to homeschool. It's simply a calling . . . a calling from God . . . certainly not for everyone though and certainly not for every season of life. It doesn't matter what you wear, or how much money you make, or what neighborhood you live in or don't live it, or if your friends homeschool or not, or your education level. You just have to have passion and a desire to do it.
More to come on homeschooling later. I actually plan on devoting a whole week's worth of posts to it soon. Since I have been doing this for almost 8 years I'd love to answer questions and dispel some myths about homeschooling. Get your thinking caps on . . . and your questions . . . 'cause in a few weeks I'm going to want to know what you want to know.
12 comments:
Wow! You really got alot of stuff at the conference. There is one here this month and I am not sure I am going to make it. But after this post, i might have to make it a priority!
Only ONE of my three loves books, but he makes up for the other two. I'm getting the other one interested simply by getting him to read comic books. Baby steps. The third prefers his words on a screen. Oh well...
I wasn't even planning on going to our homeschool convention this year but my homeschool group decided to pay for its board members to go.Yayyy! Lucky me. :o) Now I'm starting to get excited...especially after you've shared your excitement.
This is our tenth year of HSing. Its been a rough one...but I thank God for every bit of it. Can't wait to hear about your experiences. :o)
I wasnt' planning on going to our hs conference this year but our hs group decided to pay the conference fee for its board members... so yay me...I get to go. I'm getting excited about it...especially after reading your post.
I think I really need to be surrounded by other hsers. We've had a rough year!
You are speaking my love language! :)
My boys were sitting next to me while I was reading...we enlarged each picture so they could see your kids and all the books!
Questions? You want questions...I'm sure I can think of a ton!! For starters, with your history curr. are you using something like MFW? Or WTM as your guide or are you putting your own plan together? And which math curr. for the girls?
Girl you are the one I come to with all of my questions homeschool or not!! I don't think I would be here in this place if it wasn't for you and our friendship for the past ehh....FOREVER! You are such a great mom and a great homeschooling mom...my hope and prayer is to follow in your very high heeled footprints! Homeschooling is tough but so worth it! Thank you!
Michelle, I've enjoyed reading through your blogs. I can't believe how much your kids have grown. I remember Hannah being in the nursery and her trauma of being there. I was homeschooled from the 6th grade through graduation. I loved it. Your kids will appreciate the foundation you gave them one day. My mom always read to us when we were little and she'd pay me to read and now she doesn't have to. Hope your crew enjoys all the new books! Take care.
can you hear me BAWLING over here because I MISSED this?????
However, I am soo excited for you...I love DEALS!!!
I love seeing what all you choose and I always think you have a great knack for picking the 'good stuff'...
Looking forward to your other homeschooling posts!!
Oh, and the part where you described yourself cracked me up! Thanks for ALWAYS from the very beginning being my homeschool guidance counselor!!
I love you!
What do you think about Apologia Science? I've never heard of Adventures in Odyssey! Do you like Shurley Grammar? We used a Bob Jones Science book this year and Easy Grammar for English. I'm thinking about Apologia for science and I'm not sure on English, yet. I thought Easy Grammar was alright, but I wasn't in love with it. We are doing a lot of Sonlight books this next year for reading/literature and I just bought Story of the World from another homeschooling mom in our group. There is a used curriculum sale next week that our group is doing. I was told that I probably will not find Apologia there, though, because once a mom gets it she tends to hang on to it!
A tip of the hat to you and all homeschool moms out there. Glad you had fun at the conference and got some great deals.
If I've done 2 things right as a parent, they'd be these: I introduced my kids to faith in Jesus, and I introduced them to books.
Enjoy your summer of prep. It IS kinda fun, even if it is work, right? :)
You know you have a denim jumper in your closet. Don't even pretend like you don't.
Hooray for books!
Hooray for other people to teach math for you!
Hooray for big spacey homeschool rooms!
Hooray for cute jeans and shoes!
How funny.
I was just doing a google blog search for "Sonlight 6th grade", and your blog, as well as some others popped up. I recognized your name since we comment back and forth with some of the same people.
I went to OBU with Carpool Queen, Whimzie, Lisa (lisa's little slice of life), Meredith (Life at 7000feet), and Mich. My in-laws go to church with Amber from Raising Rascals (Mich is her sister).
Anyway, just thought I would say hi since we seem to run in the same blogging crowd. (I've been a slacker for the last week or so!)
I will be homeschooling for the first time next year...I will have a 6th grader, a 10th grader, and by then, a 3 year old!
Any homeschool pointers you have for a newbie that is jumping in so late in the game, are more than welcome! :)
Post a Comment