We have the nicest neighbors. Four of them have already come by and introduced themselves. One couple is a couple we know, and they came by the Sunday after we closed on the house.
Wanna hear something funny? The couple that we know, the wife . . . well, she and Jon used to date in high school. I think they dated for awhile. Our girls have played soccer together. She and her husband are very nice, and I like them both alot. I've even asked Jon should it bother me that his ex-girlfriend is our neighbor? Because it DOESN'T bother me. He, of course, has told me no. Let me ask y'all something . . . is it weird for this not to bother me? Would it bother you? She's very nice and I want her to want to be my friend. I would tease Jon before we moved in about having them over for dinner.
Well they came by and stayed for about 30 minutes. As we were talking I somehow brought up the fact that Jon played video games. "M" (his ex) said, "Jon?!? Plays video games?" She was a little shocked. Then I so ratted out Jon's brother, Lee. I said, "I tell you who really plays them. . . is Lee!!!"
After they left we snickered and talked about the conversations that took place while they were there . . . especially the video game comment. Her husband and his family own a local bank here in town. I told Jon, "You don't think "C" (her husband) plays video games?" Jon said, "No baby. . .that man's got a bank to run. He doesn't play video games." This was sooooo funny to me. It may be one of those "you had to be there" comments, but every time I think about this conversation between Jon and I, I just laugh. Here is my 39-year-old husband and his 41-year-old brother who love playing one another on X-box live. Jon and I did decide that "M" and "C" are a little more serious than we are. . . that's okay though. . . they are both as nice as they can be.
Another one of our neighbors whom we met is an older gentleman. When he saw the kids he said, "Oh, it will be nice to have a little noise in the neighborhood. It's so quiet around here." I thought to myself, "You'd better be careful what you wish for." We're a pretty LOUD family, especially me and the kids. In fact, Jon has had to get onto all of us several times for being so loud outside.
Another man has a cut-through in his yard to make it over to the newer side of the subdivision. This is where Jon's parents live. It makes us closer to them. He has a little pond in his yard and told us to come and bring the children down there to see his turtles.
They all have been so nice telling us if there is anything we need, ladders, help, whatever. . . then to please let them know.
I'd love to know, what about you guys. . . those who live in neighborhoods or subdivisions . . . are your neighbors nice? do they stick to themselves? are you a tight-knit community? do you have close friendships? do you borrow sugar or eggs or milk from them or just head to the nearest grocery store if in a bind?
In every neighborhood we've ever lived in the neighbors did not come out as quickly as they all have to introduce themselves. It seems like a tight-knit community and I'm so very grateful to be living there.
3 comments:
That's great that you have great neighbors. We live out in the country, so the only time we really connect with our neighbors is when we wave to eachother from our cars on the road.
How funny about his ex...I wouldn't be worried. One of my boyfriends in highschool ended up marrying one of my best friends in college, and we are all great friends today.
And video games? Girl...my husband turns into a 12 year old.
Well, currently my neighbors are practically in my lap but that's okay!! :)
HOWEVER, at the new place someone already came over and told us how excited they were that we would be moving...so I was even MORE excited for a "real" neighborhood feel b/c we've never had that before!!
I am cracking up over the ex...I love being in silly family too..so, carry on, Jon! And the kids being loud?! He really DOESN'T know what he's asking for, huh?!
Your neighbors are so friendly. What a great bonus!! Love all the updates about your house, the move etc. What a great start to spring!
Post a Comment