Saturday, April 25, 2009

Because I'll forget

I'm one of those people that's so scattered brain if I don't write or type something down quickly, it will erase from my brain . . . permanently.

Today at our soccer game, one of my soccer mom friends told me that she was turning 40 in about 15 days. To celebrate turning 40 she was doing a countdown of "40 days until 40." Every day when she woke up she'd do something unexpected, something the average day would not bring her. She is a very career-oriented woman and I've often joked with her about being a Sarah Palin. Very smart, has it all together, organized . . . all those things I aspire to be.

Okay. . . back to her "40 days until 40" . . . she told me most of her days have really involved doing something for other people (which I think brings the greatest joy). One morning she took her Daddy out to breakfast. Another day she wrote her Mom a sweet letter. One evening she took 40 invitations and invited her neighbors to her house for dinner. Yesterday her hubby took the kids fishing and she had 4 whole hours to herself.

Did I mention she is a career woman and a soccer mom? Both of her kids play soccer. And she makes time to do this just to celebrate life!!! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!

I just think this is the neatest idea!!!

I'm one of those people who think you should celebrate the big birthdays - BIG!! Ya know, 16, 21, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 85, 90, 91, 92, 93 (ha!ha!). When I turned 30 is the year I ran my first and, so far, only marathon. I told her she just had to do something BIG on her actual 40th! She wanted to go hang gliding and her hubby said he wasn't going to have her die on her birthday. I think now she may be considering a hot air balloon ride - HOW AWESOME IS THAT?!?!?

Thankfully I have what I consider to be lots of years before I turn 40 (after all I'm still 25 in my own mind), but this is something I'm definitely going to do. I wanted to share it with all of you in case you or anyone you love is turning a big number this year or in the next few years.

Who knows? I love my birthday so much I may just start doing this every year. Naaaahhhh!

5 comments:

Gretchen said...

This is wonderful. And I don't care if I already am 40. It's never too late. What an inspiring friend. I think I'm going to start a list. I won't even think of following through unless I do. Maybe mine will be "the year I turned 40 or something."

Carpool Queen said...

I have time to do this! I'll be 40 in December. Maybe this will be my gift to myself.

Tiffani said...

YES! Gretch and Sus, go for it!!!!

I loved all these ideas and I'm gonna already be thinking of my list!!

Glad you were inspired and then shared with us!

Amber said...

I'm with you on the having to write it down asap or else it is gone for good!

Love that idea!! How great!!!

Christy Laster said...

i'm loving this idea. i will have to see what i can come up with before my big 3-0! :D