Wednesday, November 19, 2008

For The Children Who Cross Our Paths

Normally I would not blog this late at night, but my heart is so heavy I have to get this out on "paper," if you will. Tonight at church I have 2 little girls in my class, sisters, that might have well been my sister, Melissa, and I 20 years ago. Very close in age these girls are, a little rough around the edges definitely. For the sake of their privacy I will call them "Michele" and "Melissa".

Tonight we did a thankful chain and one of "Michele's" chains was she was thankful for her birth mom. She and her sister are adopted. I later asked her if she ever saw her birth mom and she said, "No, that she was in jail." Another child (different kid in the class who is also adopted) spoke up and said his mom was in jail too, and he remembers the police coming to his house.

Unfortunately, I could really relate to these children. I spoke up very quickly and told them that as a little girl I once visited my Daddy in jail and I described to them what the situation was like. I didn't want them to feel ashamed for where they came from. You see, as a child, my close friends all had what I perceived to be "perfect families" - both of their mom and dad were together. Mine were not. Their families all went to church together. We either went with my grandparents or my neighbor. My dad was an alcoholic and drug user. I knew way, way too much as child. My sister and I experienced more heartache and grief than any child should.

I then asked these 3 children if they ever prayed for their birth mothers? All 3 quickly responded "No." I then encouraged them that they have to pray for their birth mothers. I told them their birth mothers act the way they do because they don't know Jesus, and if they knew Jesus then their hearts would change. I also told them they must pray for their birth mom's because no one else may be doing it. To my surprise the little girl that sometimes gives us the most trouble, "Michele", was very tenderhearted about this issue and shook her head yes. Her sister, "Melissa", responded with a "No, I'm not praying for her."

We get home and my Ashley tells me that "Michele" told her that her mom's boyfriend one day hit her mom and then took her baby brother and banged him up against a mirror. I am totally heartbroken for these precious children!!! I have just cried my eyes out. Ashley then said, "I always just thought "Michele" was mean," I told Ashley, "Now we know why. That poor child has seen and heard more than any child should."

I'm telling you God has blessed me with a real-life Cinderella story!! He has certainly done far more with my life than I could ever think or imagine (Eph 3:20). First of all He saved me!!! I was a sinner, dying and going to hell, and he pursued me and saved me. Then He kept me safe from so many, many things that could have harmed me. He has blessed me with an amazing husband who is my real-life, "Prince Charming," 3 beautiful children who love their mom so very much. I have a beautiful home in a nice neighborhood. I have a nice car. We have food on our table. I have a wonderful church. I am blessed with AMAZING friends! I have an awesome mom who is one of my very best friends. I have 2 sisters that I truly delight in and think the world of. The list could go on and on. Many, many times I have asked the LORD, "Why have you blessed me in such amazing ways? I certainly do not deserve any of this." I know BEYOND a shadow of a doubt it is because He LOVES me!!! Because I am telling you NOTHING I have ever done in my life is good enough for me to have the life that I have! It is all for His glory!!! I give Him ALL the praise and ALL the glory for this life He has given me!

I know for certain people prayed for me as a child. I know my Grandmama and Papa and my Faye covered Melissa and I in prayer. I am pretty sure there were others out there praying; in fact, I am convinced of it. I can't wait to one day meet these people in heaven and thank them, truly thank them from the very bottom of my heart. I just really believe in the power of prayer! So please, please, please I urge you to pray for those children that cross your path. Pray for your children. Pray for your children's friends. Pray for your children's enemies. Pray for their classmates. Pray for your friends' children. Pray for your nieces and nephews. Pray for those children you teach at church. Pray for those children that come up and give you a hug on Sunday mornings. It makes a difference. I am a living, breathing example of the power of prayer.

As I prayed for these 3 precious children tonight I pleaded with God to please bless their lives even more than He had already blessed mine. I prayed that they would live their lives glorifying Him!

P.S. On a side note, my Mom is a Christian now and loves the LORD and the majority of the things I experienced were the times when I was with my Dad. As far as my Dad's salvation, it is one of those things I am really unsure about - however, I will NEVER, EVER, NEVER stop praying for him - even during the times it hurts.

8 comments:

Stephanie Elder said...

Aw, Michele-what a powerful testimony. I just sat here and cried through the whole thing. You've truly touched my heart.

Julie said...

Michele, this post has really touched my heart and has given me the desire to pray more. I will surely remember all 3 of this babies in my prayers. Thank you for sharing their stories and yours. Sometimes we don't realize what people are going through or have gone through in their personal lives. Thank you for sharing.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Oh, Michele...I just want to give you a big hug! I'm so thankful for the ways that God has redeemed and restored your life.

Those precious girls...wow...my heart is heavy for them. I will pray that one day they will respond to the One who loves them with all His heart.

Thanks for sharing this. It really touched me.

Frugal Finds said...

You are just an amazing person. I am happier every day for having found your blog. What a touching story... I cried!! Could you warn me to get tissues first next time you do that?

Unknown said...

Such a bittersweet post Michelle.

I am so glad that you were there to share a bit of your story with them! It will serve them far more than we could even imagine!

As you so eloquently wrote, God is good. Even when we see things that break our heart! God is holding them! I will pray for them and for you! That you may continue to be an encouragement to them.

Heather said...

I am crying reading this post. How amazing are you!??! I mean, I know it is Christ IN you, but you have allowed yourself to be used and loved by Him, which is not always easy. Your heart for Him is so encouraging to me. My "real dad" (I have a step=father who I call "Dad") is not a Christian, either, and I am not close to him, nor have I ever been. I know I don't pray for him as much as I should. This was a good conviction to me from your post. Also, I am going to start praying for Connor's friends, etc. Thank you, Michele! You are such a blessing to me.

Tiffani said...

Your heart is certainly overflowing with heaviness and I can feel it too...I will continue to lift up those sweet girls and their families...it was very transparent of you to share your thoughts here but it encourages all of us to pray specifically for those around us...

I remember thinking as a child "if these people around me only knew HALF of what I'm going through they'd understand me better" I was so ashamed of my life but like you, and hopefully like the girls in our class...people prayed the blood of Jesus over me...for years and I am living proof that good comes from the worst of situations...

Thanks for sharing this my sweet friend, I love you!

Tricia said...

I am sitting here crying over your special story. God has put you in a place to be a positive witness to those children because you can relate to them. What a positive example you can be. Thanks for sharing. I will pray for them and your family as you are a stay at home mom and that is a special position.
Tricia