Thursday, November 27, 2008

Giving Thanks with a Grateful Heart

I have so very much to be thankful for. Some of the things I probably don't even realize. Here are the things I am especially thankful for this year.

1. My LORD and Savior, Jesus Christ. I don't see how people make it without Him.

2. My Husband - He is truly the better half of me. He is the most easygoing person I know. He makes me laugh all the time. He is loving, encouraging, comforting. He takes this all-too-serious girl and lightens her up, not taking life so seriously! He is a hard worker and sacrifices so much for our family. He teaches me every day to "not sweat the small stuff . . . and it's all small stuff."

3. My children - From my earliest childhood memories I can always remembering wanting to be a mom. Even in my wildest dreams I never imagined it would be this great! Alec is my serious, hard worker, who loves making his Dad and I happy. He is very funny when he is not trying to be. He has a good, tender heart and is probably the most sensitive of all of my children. I always say he is the smartest person in our family. Ashley, well no one loves me quite like Ashley. I believe I am truly the apple of this little girl's eyes. She has a laugh that is truly contagious. She is the most giving person I know. Hanna, much like her Daddy, is very easygoing, very silly, and doesn't take anything too serious. Maybe it's because we don't really take her very serious. Hanna is my cuddle bug.

4. My mom - My mom loves me and my children like no other. She takes off work to come and take care of me when I am sick. She surprises me with little "unexpected things." She is SO MUCH FUN! She rearranges her plans when I need her to. To sum her up, she is just AMAZING!!!

5. My sisters. Melissa has been through so much this year. She has faced a battle this year and has been truly victorious. I am so proud of her. She has inspired me more than she will ever know. Other than Jon, she is my very best friend. She is always loyal, encouraging, and will come to her big sister's rescue and defense in 2.2. She is the one and only person in this world who has been side-by-side with me through EVERYTHING in my life. She is apart of me just like my hands and feet are apart of me. Kristen, my baby sister. She is peppy, spunky, and truly has a servant's heart. She shares my love of running and I am so very thankful for her.

6. My messy house. I am thankful for the mess because I haven't had the chance to clean it up. We've been too busy enjoying our friends, enjoying one another, and enjoying life. Although sometimes it really grades on my nerves, I would rather have a messy house and be out enjoying life, than a clean one and be so focused on having a "Southern Living Home."

7. My job. Although my job requires me to get up at 4:00 a.m. every morning, I am very thankful for it. It provides us with income so that my family can have the "extras" in life. It also prevents me from having "idle" time. I am thankful that God has given me the health, endurance, and discipline to get up every morning at 4:00.

8. My friends. I have some truly amazing Godly friends. They inspire, encourage, and pray for me. I am so very blessed. I enjoy sharing my life with them. Each of them, in very special and unique ways, make life so much fun!

9. My church. All you have to read is my previous post to know how special my church is to me.

10. My Papa. Last year at this time he was diagnosed with multiple myeloma. I remember after hearing the diagnosis I got in my car, drove around, and sobbed my eyes out. I called Melissa and sobbed hysterically on the phone with her. It has certainly been a battle for this wonderful man in my life, but he has been victorious. He is doing wonderful, giving all the praise and glory to God!

11. My father-in-law, Jim. He is going through a lot right now. My heart is broken into bits and pieces for him right now. He is the greatest man I have ever know. He is an amazing person and has strengthened and encouraged my walk with the LORD more than he could ever know. He gives unselfishly, never expecting anything in return. He gives sacrificially. He doesn't care about having things, but he sure wants to make sure his family has both the things we need and things we want. He is a man of great character - you know, that kind of character that is bone deep. I am truly honored to be apart of his family.

He has always known my desire to finish college one day. I quit school after only having 8 months left before finishing my bachelors degree in education. I quit because Alec was little and I didn't want to miss out on anything. I knew I could always go back to school, but this time was a precious time in the life of my little boy and I could never get it back. Several years ago Jim approached me and told me if I wanted to finish school he would pay for it and help me with the children. This is just a tiny example of his love for others. A truly remarkable person! Just ask anyone around here, and they can attest to how wonderful he is. In fact, the very first Citizen of the Year award was given to him.

I hope each and every one of you out there has a very blessed Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Michele...that is a beautiful list! Your heart is indeed grateful!

Blessings to you today.

Julie said...

Wow, Michele. You ARE truly blessed. Hope today is relaxing and enjoyable.
Love you!

Tiffani said...

You are truly blessed and I love your thankful list!!!