We then made "Future Voter" buttons to wear when I went to go and vote
Tuesday, November 4, 2008
Election Day Fun
If you ask any of my children (yes, including Hanna) who is running for President they all 3 can tell you. Alec knows who is running for Vice President and the girls know that Sarah Palin is running for Vice President with John McCain. The political race is something that has been a topic of conversation in our family many, many times; with the children asking lots of questions and getting lots of honest answers. Fox News is on our TV probably more than any other station. So, I decided we needed to have some election day fun. We started off the morning with blue pancakes served on red plates. It took me awhile to convince Hanna that it was okay to eat blue pancakes.
Next, we had a family election. Of course we would all be voting for the same Presidential candidate. But, what about dinner? So, we had a vote on what to have for dinner that night. You have to read to the end of this blog to find out what menu item won.
Next, Alec and Ashley did an election word search
Then we talked about why an elephant represented the Republican party and a donkey the Democratic party. It makes me grin now because the way I introduced this topic is I started out by talking about SEC football mascots. The kids certainly did not disappoint their dad. The knew all the mascots of the schools that I asked them about. Go SEC!!! I actually learned a lot about why these animals were chosen and what they represent to each party. They had a color sheet of each animal and had to write which party the animal represented. The color sheet was so that Hanna Boo would be included. Alec could have really cared less about the coloring portion. Sweet Ash loved it all!
We then talked about the electoral college and learned some fun facts about The White House. I also did this presidential riddle game with Alec, which he did very well on. Does anyone out there remember the show "Family Ties?" Remember Alex P. Keaton and how he was about politics? That is my Alec. In fact, I often tease around with him and call him Alex P. Keaton. Alec has always been fascinated with the political process, candidates, etc. In fact, Tuesday is the day of "homeschool school." Last week Alec begged me not to go and vote without him. It was so sweet. School was canceled though because they needed the homeschool portion of it for voting.
We then made "Future Voter" buttons to wear when I went to go and vote
Here are the kids pointing to their buttons, letting everyone know that they are future voters. The little ladies at the voting place loved these. (Hanna is so funny. She is going through this stage whenever she gets her picture made she puts bunny ears on herself -See? She is so cute!)
I am so honored to live in the great United States of America where I have the freedom to vote, even if the candidate whom I voted for does not win. God has certainly blessed our country, and He has way more blessed me more than I could ever think or imagine. God Bless the USA!!! I am even more thankful I serve a God who is in A-B-S-O-L-U-T-E and COMPLETE control. Man, I love Him so!!!! He is what gives me a feeling of security and freedom. Beth Moore has an excellent post today about the election.
And. . . . the winner for dinner is . . . enchiladas!! No hanging chads here. Enchiladas won by a landslide - it was unanimous.
I had to stick to my red, white, and blue theme that I started at breakfast. So I dyed the cheese dip blue, the tortilla chips did well for my white, and I made salsa (a recipe from my sweet friend, Julie, who makes the BEST salsa I have ever put in my mouth) which represented my blue.
I snapped this picture of Jon as he was digging into the blue cheese dip (maybe he was closing his eyes so he wouldn't be grossed out by blue cheese dip?) He thought it was so funny that I am having this "Election Day Fun" with Mexican food. It makes me giggle!
Well, I'm off to watch Fox News. Jon came home early today from work and took a nap while I went to vote. The last Presidential election he stayed up ALL night. He will be up late tonight, if not all night. I'll be in bed at my usual time. I'll just wait to find out tomorrow, that is if we even know anything by then.
We then made "Future Voter" buttons to wear when I went to go and vote
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
You're SO fun! I wanna live at your house! :)
Love the blue pancakes and blue cheese dip. Love Hanna's bunny ears, and love that your kids knew all the SEC mascots!
GIRL, could I be more proud of you??? What a fun fun day!! Wish we would've come over for this!!
You really went above and beyond!!! I know the kids LOVED it....
You make homeschooling look like so much fun!!
I have considered trying it myself for my DS but am intimidated by the harder math years.
Isn't it amazing how much we learn as homeschool moms (past tense here!) I still don't know why the elephant or donkey...
What a beautiful family you have.
Thanks for your visit and comment about my shop.
This is amazing! I love what a fun mom you are!!!
Post a Comment