We got home and he went upstairs and I went downstairs to put some laundry in the washing machine. He came down and gave me this big hug. I know I held him for at least 15 minutes. This really meant so much to me because he is just not an affectionate person. His demeanor and his attitude were so pleasant the rest of the night. It was almost like him saying what he needed to say and getting some issues off his chest in an environment where there was no one to condemn him (i.e., sisters) freed him. We all sat down to watch television and he cuddled up next to me. We had a wonderful night!
Well, that night after everyone was in bed, I told Jon the details of mine and Alec's conversation. He mainly just took in what I said. One thing about my wonderful husband is he is way wise beyond his years. Sometimes he takes things in that I say and doesn't say anything, but I know he prays about them, and then later will come to me and we will talk more in-depthly about things. You learn these things after 12 years of marriage. So I knew to just be patient and wait.
Today, after Alec finished school , Jon told him to get dressed that they were going to work. Alec resisted and did not want to go. Jon said that was that and he was going - all in a fun-loving, friendly manner. Alec accepted and off they went. Later in the day Jon gave me a call and we talked about a sleepover birthday party Alec had been invited to. Jon really thought we should let him go. He told me to pray about it, and he would call me back in 1/2 hour. I really had a peace about him going. Jon talked with Alec about peer pressure and even shared with Alec about times when he was in school that all of his friends did drugs and they were all determined to get Jon to do them. However, he always resisted and never gave into that pressure. But, he did let Alec know there were times when he did give into peer pressure concerning other issues (I believe he was pretty vague on these) and that it was hard. He assured Alec that if he ever does give into peer pressure that he is always safe to come to us, and we will not get angry with him. Precious moments between a father and a son. It truly makes my heart flutter and skip an extra beat.
Okay, about this sleepover. There are at least 10-15 boys. They are sleeping in a barn. Not a barn for animals, but a barn this family uses for entertaining. It has concrete floors, 4 walls, a roof, a wood-burning stove, etc. I have to admit I am nervous about the wood-burning stove in the barn especially after everyone falls asleep. I even encouraged Alec to stay up all night!! We have known this wonderful, Godly family for about 5 years now. We know several of the boys that were going to be there. In fact, most of the boys go Alec's "homeschool school", some are homeschooled and some go there full time. The mother did tell me some of the video games and movies they were going to watch. Okay now, anyone who knows me, knows I am pretty picky about what I let my children see. They really watch very little TV, and pretty much the only TV they are allowed to watch is PBS (that is probably why they watch so little). I am also pretty strict about video games. I felt kind-of bad that every movie or video game the mother said I was like, "ewww." But, Alec is a good kid. We told him that he knew what we approved of and what we didn't, and we trusted he would make the right decision - Letting go -YEP- a little bit at a time. The LORD brought to my memory something James Dobson says in "Bringing up Boys." He said to help curb rebellion there is a fine line. You can't let them have too much freedom too soon or it can be disastrous. But, you also can not let them have too little freedom or it can be disastrous. So, here is this clingy, controlling, mama in high heels, trusting God and letting go of her little man one string at a time. Now, certainly not my heart strings, but my controlling strings.
He was so excited and it delighted me so! Bless his heart. He had a Winnie-the-Pooh sleeping bag that he got for Christmas I think when he was 3. He was totally fine with taking it. My sister, Melissa, has always said that one of the things she loves most about him is he is comfortable with who he is. He didn't care if he was taking a Winnie-the-Pooh sleeping bag. But, Jon did take him to buy him a real sleeping bag before he took him to the party.
I called my mom and said, "Guess what? I am turning into you!!" I made him take my cell phone with him. That is so my mama!!! Just like my mama, I really want to call him about 10 times to check on him. Jon told Alec in front of me that I would not be calling him; that he is to use the phone if he wants to come home or if he needs us. Darn!!! I guess I am going to have to practice some submission - hard as it is!!!! Maybe I can give mom a call and get her to call and check on him? Just kidding!!!
4 comments:
Oh, this was such a sweet post. I loved hearing about your time in the car last night and how he came and hugged you and snuggled up later. Melts this mama's heart.
My son is 11 and he is really trying to find his way these days. I'm thankful that he talks to me and confides in me and I hope we have that kind of relationship always.
Try and get some sleep tonight...I don't sleep well when my "babies" aren't at home. I hope he has a terrific time!
Michelle,
I appreciate you posting this. My son is the around the same age as yours and this tweenage thing is interesting. And the letting go is hard.
I am a lot like you in that I regulate a lot of what they are exposed to (movies, TV, video games). And it hard when you have to trust that you have done all you can,and you have to send them off!
Another thing that is hard, is that now is the time when The Mister is able to help him make more decisions. I have been the one to dole out care and comfort. But know is the time when The Boy is needing me less and less, and is now needing a his Dad to teach him to make that transition from boy to man.
Anyway, I appreciate this post because I feel I am experiencing some of the same things.
I bought the Dobson Bringing up Boys book years ago and have yet to read it! I think I'll start today!
kellie
PS: Your son is cutie!
I call it- SMART! and GODLY! You are a great momma! This post makes me hit my knees for the days to come with my little one. Thanks for the encouragement!
Oh my goodness...that's my JuJu's future husband...get it out, boy, so you can nurture and love my girl!!!
Seriously, though, you're always so honest on your posts about parenting and I'm always thankful because I glean so much from it. I'm so proud of you...having that oldest boy..I know my days are coming (but see, you will have already handled these issues and all will be well with Connor ;).
I have a special place in my heart for Alec and I always pray that he will feel special, included and unique...so, I know this weekend was a great help in teaching him about boundaries, choices and trusting and loving his AWESOME parents...
Post a Comment