Wednesday, October 8, 2008
Do You Ever?
Do you ever have one of those days or many of those days when you just do not feel cut out for this way, way hard job called motherhood? Today has been one of those days for me. My son and I pretty much had it out today. He is 11 and oh so moody at times. Sometimes I really do not know what to do with him!!! He started out the day on a bad foot because he took something I said, twisted it all around, and then yelled at me - which that in itself is a huge no-no in our house. He then had a dentist appointment to put sealants on his teeth. Last week he was so ugly to me because his blue jeans from last year were short and he had the nerve to demand me to go and get him some that very day. Now mind you, he is homeschooled and only the mornings have been slightly cool so it is not like we are living in Montana and it is snowing right now (if it is even snowing there - I don't know, but you get the point). Most days it is close to 80 degrees here. Well to be honest I let him have it and reminded him that I was sorry I had not had time because whenever I am not teaching them I am either at ballet, soccer, or swim practice. UGGGHHHH!! So, today I decided to go and get them fall clothes after his dentist appointment. Then I took them to Party City and let them get a Halloween costume. Other than his morning outburst it was a relatively good day. On the ride home he snapped at both of his sisters for no reason whatsoever. He was so ugly!!! The kid has got a temper. By this point I was furious with him!!! We then get home and he and I go round and round with one another. I don't know if it is hormones or something deeper than that. He did express to me after all was calm that he feels like he is always getting in trouble and he hates to disappoint his dad and I. I really appreciate that quality in him but I had a heart-to-heart talk with him from one perfectionist to another perfectionist that he has to realize he is going to mess up and that is why we need Jesus. I explained to him that he just needed to have a humble heart and pray that the LORD will help him with his struggles and when he does goof to sincerely apologize and try to do better. I'm telling you the kid has a TOUGH TIME saying he is sorry. I talked to him about pride and reminded him of what God's word says about it. One minute I am furious with the kid and the next minute my heart truly hurts for him. He and my middle daughter have BIG TIME sibling rivalry. He did also tell me his frustration with her. But, what he fails to see or even realize, is that she gets in trouble too. He also is the kind of kid that I feel that I can't win with - I feel like no matter what tone I use, soft and gentle or harsh and furious, he always is offended by it. Since I am being totally honest here I am not casting total blame on him. I said some things and nagged him enough that probably provoked some of what he said. However, I guess I feel that if I don't he just bottles it up inside and WILL NOT talk about it. During our heart-to-heart I did tell him this and I apologized to him. I, of course, reminded him over and over again how much his dad and I love him. He really is a great kid. He obeys really well. He makes good decisions. It is just his temper gets him in so much trouble. We tell him often how proud we are of him and when he does something praiseworth, we, of course, praise him for it. However, there is a fine line there with him. If you praise him too much he gets so puffed up that all he does is go around boasting and bragging to his sisters. Somebody, anybody got any advice out there for this mama in high heels who feels like an utter and total failure today?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
OH Michelle!
If i wrote down how many times I have had to apologize to my kids, there wouldn't be a book big enough to write in!
I don't have too much advice, but I do know that you are doing a great job with those kiddos!
Praying for you!
My sweet mama in high heels,
I am so proud of your tenacity. Your endurance with being the mother of 3. Your patience to see those moments through to the end.
Of course, we lose it as Moms, we say words we wish we didn't, we acts ways we wish we hadn't...but the important part of all of that is teaching our children that we make mistakes, too. We have to humble ourselves and ask for that forgiveness the same way our children do and I think it teaches them VOLUMES about character, humility and how to have that deep and abiding relationship with the Lord.
You inspire me everyday day to love my children more, to nurture their individuality, and to be a fun, well-accessorized :) Mama! I love you...and just remember this is the hardest and BEST job we'll ever have!!!
You are NOT a failure! You are an awesome mother! We all have those days, and like you said, that's why we have JESUS!
You are too cute! I feel your pain. I posted about something similar just last week.
I would LOVE to read more of your blog, but I am having an awful time reading pink on green.
I'll go subscribe in bloglines so I can read it there! :-)
Post a Comment