Sunday, August 24, 2008

A Three Ring Circus - Did I mention this is our first week?

Monday we started our first day of our new homeschooling year. We are going into our 8th year of homeschooling - Praise the Lord! It is truly only by God's grace that we have made it this far, and I am ever so grateful He has not allowed me to quit when I have really, really wanted to. I was really excited about this year, as all three of the children would be involved. I am bound and determined to make it a good year and to put in 110%. Did I mention this is our first week?



After breakfast we did our devotional, then I handed the children their school boxes and I had clues inside their boxes for a scavenger hunt to find their school supplies (I wish I could take credit for this clever idea, but I got the idea from my friend Tiffani, who got the idea from her friend Lori, so thanks Lori and Tiffani for sharing:)). My kids loved it. We included Jon in on it and he read Hanna's clues to her. After the scavenger hunt the children had to glue their clues onto construction paper and then write about their favorite part of the scavenger hunt. Then they did a self portrait (Thanks to Tiff for this idea). My son got a little stressed out about this - being the perfectionist that he is, he was aggravated by all of the erasing he had to do. I had to explain to him that this was supposed to be fun. After this they had to fill out an "All About Me." I've been doing this since Alec was about 5, and I really love this to see how they change from year to year. It has all of their favorites (food, candy, books, etc.), who their best friends are, what they want to be when they grow up, etc. Did I mention this is our first week?



Enough with the fun stuff it was time for Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic. In September they start a private Christian school not far from our house that allows homeschoolers to come in and take classes. There they will take History, Science, Art, and Music - so I don't worry about those subjects. Alec really loves Literature and hates Math. Ashley really loves Math and hates Reading. Hanna was a pure delight because she loves it all. In my flesh I would really love to make everyone believe that we are the perfect homeschooling family who has the perfect homeschooling days, and our days are filled with singing, "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing," but in reality and in all honesty it is truly like a 3-ring circus homescooling a preschooler, elementary schooler, and middle schooler. I had many Math meltdowns with my middle schooler. On Friday my elementary schooler was in such a bad mood I promise you she had to have had a major case of PMS. She whined lots and loudly about Reading. Even my preschooler had some funky fits this week. Did I mention this is our first week?



Yep, I hope and pray that I can get everyone into a good routine and our days will, for the most part, be whining and complaining free. We'll see. Did I mention this is our first week?



I will say that I got through the week yelling free. The Lord helped me to maintain my composure and speak kindly and calmly even in the midst of the whining and complaining. Did I mention this is our first week?



On a positive note, I will say overall the week was good. There were even days when Jon volunteered to assist the children after I instructed them on what to do so I could get a run in. It was so sweet of him, especially since I didn't ask and he volunteered. Because of his job he has always left the house and homeschooling to me, but I think this year he wants to take a more active role when time permits, which warms my heart. However, did I mention this is the first week?



Also this year I have decided to not only just focus on the spiritual and academic growth of my children, but also their responsibilities around the house. They each have their own homeschool box for which they are responsible for putting their books in after I have checked their work. They also have their own pencils, markers, color pencils, scissors, etc. They are responsible for putting them in their homeschool boxes. At the end of the homeschool day I tell them to pick up their things and put them in the right places. I will normally wait a good while for them to do this, then after a little bit I go around and pick up what is left behind - books, pencils, whatever. The next day when they go to get their homeschool books out and can't find them they have to buy these items back from me for a quarter. Alec and Ashley have had to do this already. I have collected lots of pencils; however, they have lots of pencils right now so this has not hit their pocketbooks yet. They also have a list of chores that must be completed before any TV or computer is allowed. They mainly do these things in the morning while I am still working. They have their own laundry baskets and have to fold and put up their assigned laundry without being told to do it. I must say this has gone pretty well this week and laundry has stayed kept up.



Homeschooling is truly a calling. I do not believe it is for everyone. I know for this season of my life it is what the Lord has called me to do. It is something we take on a year-to-year basis. I pray that I will not fail the Lord or disappoint Him and my heart will have the truest intentions; however, I know that if and when I do fail Him, His grace is sufficient. I am so grateful to homeschool and be apart of every aspect of my children's lives even though sometimes that does encompass whining and complaining even when I put forth 110%. I remind myself that I am serving my Lord and that keeps me from getting discouraged. When I am doing it for my children and they are not receiving my efforts and hard work in the way that I think they should I get very frustrated and discouraged. However, when I remind myself of my calling and serve the Lord wholeheartedly through this calling of homeschooling my children then I find much more joy on the days when I feel there has been more whining and complaining than laughter and appreciation. I have great kids and I am so blessed to be their mother. God has truly given me more than I could have ever thought or imagined. Praise His Name!!!!



Jon and Hanna reading their first clue

Alec looking under the dining room chair for a possible answer to his clue


Ashley finding some school supplies on the washing machine


Alec found his pencils


Scavenger Hunt Summary


Scavenger Hunt Clues








3 comments:

Tiffani said...

You wrote so sweetly, my friend! What a great post...I can't imagine the three ring circus right now I only have about a 1 and half ring but that's enough for me...I really loved the part about doing serving the Lord instead of our kids b/c we really would get tired EVEN with giving 110%...you have ALWAYS inspired in this homeschooling journey since the very beginning 5 years ago...

Unknown said...

I love reading about your first day scavenger hunt! Such fun!

I hear you about house responsibilities and the kids. In the past it has been easier for me to "just do" things because I can them done quicker and correctly. Meaning I can have my way! So I am also taking the time to help them learn household tasks; "smarts" will help them get into college, but they better know how to wash a load of laundry while the are there! ;)

Denise said...

my first week went well to, i did not yell at all that week either, but then week 2 came, and week 3 is here... still trying to be "proactive."
i'd love if we had a christian school that offered courses that could be taken. that is a great idea.

you are adorable! and in high heels.
i'd be a mama in converse.
i wonder what shoes you'd find other mamas in??