Sunday, August 17, 2008

Our Last Hurrah!!!

Since we are starting school tomorrow, on Friday, we had our last hurrah of the summer. Most of our summer days are spent at a swimming pool we join every year. We enjoy seeing our "pool friends," the friends that we only see during the summertime at the pool. It doesn't close until the end of September, so I am sure we will be back, but it just will not be a 3 to 4 time a week thing. Since public school has already started here, we were the only ones there. I always, always, always pack our lunch, but today I surprised the children with getting to eat in the clubhouse. The hot dogs were wonderful, and they were so excited that we got to do this.

Ashley
Hanna

Alec

Many times during the summer my prissy girl, Hanna, would join me and lay out with me. I SOOO love this!

They were actually all playing nicely together for once

On our way to the car Ashley saw this really cool spider. I really have to work hard at being a "stop and smell the roses kind of person." I am pretty high strung and most of the times ready to get to the next activity. We actually stopped for about 10 minutes and admired this spider. She really was pretty and she had just caught a grasshopper and spun her web around him. I loved sitting there talking with the children about this spider and what God created her to do. Normally I would be like, "Oh, that's neat. Let's go." God is really working on my heart about just moving at a slower pace. Oh it is so hard for me!!!!
The children thought we were on the way home but I decided to take a detour and swing by a local peach orchard and dig into some homemade peach ice cream - Yum-oooo!!! To me some of the best things in life are the unexpected ones, so I wanted to throw something unexpected at them. All 3 children were very gracious and told me thank you more than once. We sat down and enjoyed our ice cream until it was melting so rapidly from this heat that we decided to head home.
I am so excited about starting school tomorrow, which more times than not, homeschooling is a labor of love for me; certainly something I am certain God has called me to do, but sometimes my selfish monster rears its ugly head and I get discouraged very easily. However, I am anticipating great things this year. I am looking forward to what the LORD will teach me as a mother, wife, woman, friend, mom, daughter. I am looking forward at seeing my children grow spiritually and physically and what the LORD will teach each one of them. And, of course, I am excited about what the LORD will teach us as a family.








2 comments:

Tiffani said...

Sweet post, my no kin twin...what a way to "end" the summer! At first I thought that pic of the spider was something you pulled in from the web (no pun intended) GREAT SHOT! I'm proud of you for trying to slow down some...you deserve and so do the kids..I hope this year will be your best homeschooling year yet...can't wait to hear about the first day.

Unknown said...

Your "Last Hurrah" looked great!

I hope your first day of homeschool went was fantastic!

I forgot all about those spiders. We had them everywhere in NC but the spiders here in AZ are never that colorful.