Friday, February 24, 2012

Silver and Gold

"Make new friends. . . but keep the old. . . one is silver and the other gold."

Man, I can remember Mrs. Davis' 7th grade music class like it was yesterday.

"doe-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti-do" was one we sang every.single.day.

I think we sang every Bette Midler song known to man.

It was in her class though that I remember learning the little song. . .

"Make new friends, but keep the old. . . one is silver and the other gold."

This is certainly true of my friend Molly and I.

Molly was my first friend I have a memory of. We met in 1st grade and became instant friends. She spent the night with me, and I remember Mama made me let Melissa sleep at the foot of my bed. Melissa had a bedwetting problem and actually peed on Molly's foot that night.

We rode bus #59 together and talked so much we got on our busdriver's nerves. . . . good ol' Mrs. Robinson. She would separate us; however, we would crawl under the seats and meet in the middle just so we could talk.

When I would get mad at her I'd call her "Motormouth Molly" or "Bigmouth Bishop".

I remember in 4th grade having a club. . .getting mad at Molly and me and my posse going up to her and saying, "You're kicked out", as we all kicked our feet from us like we were kicking a ball. A mean young-un I was. . . just terrible, plain terrible.

We were both majorettes in high school together. Therefore, we spent LOTS of time together.

I remember her first long-time boyfriend. In fact, I think I had one of his tennis shirts for the longest time (after I was married and had kiddos myself). I must've borrowed it from her one day at practice and never returned it.

I love how facebook keeps you connected.

She now lives in North Carolina, but her dad lives the next town over from me, and whenever she is here we make it a point to get together.

Weird how our lives still are very connected. . . and how we both homeschool our kids. . . both love the Lord and seek to walk in His ways and not our own. . . both works in progress.

God's grace. . . plain and simple

It's funny, although we never see one another and have grown into two very different people we were in our childhood and teen years, we always pick up as if we were still riding bus #59 together.

She came into town a few weeks ago, and Melissa fixed us lunch. We had such a great time gabbing and talking. . . so fun!

She has 3 beautiful children.
Alec and JS were missing because Melissa had to take JS to the hospital. He bumped his noggin and had a very nasty bump protruding from his head. Thankfully, all was fine.


No comments: